Ring question with pics

Moderator: Mods

impala400

Ring question with pics

Post by impala400 »

Doisy is almost 6 months old and is a boy (DNA Testing) He seems to be going through what I call a mini molt, getting in new feathers around the head and neck. What I have been noticing is that he seems to be getting a few gray feathers towards his beak, like the start of a ring. I thought it might be the light but I've noticed them in different lighting and in pictures. Is this just part of the lighter ring they have before the later ring. He does have a lighter, brighter green ring that he has had for a while just without any gray. I've never had an irn but I know that this is way too early for a ring to be starting. Anyways, I'm adding some pictures and would like anyone's opinion. :)
julie

Post by julie »

It doesnt look like a ring starting to me, he looks good and happy though.
Fah

Post by Fah »

I ma curious about the amount of yellow through its feathering, what diet routine do you have him on?
impala400

Post by impala400 »

He is on Roudybush Pellets, California Blend. He also gets dried fruits as well as fresh fruits and vegetables everyday. I use seeds (millet & sunflower) as rewards during training. I've noticed the yellow too but I know that his sisters were actually lutino so maybe that explains it. I thought he was an interesting green but thought that it was just me. :)
Fah

Post by Fah »

Nah, ino (which makes green birds go lutino, and blue ones albino) isnt a gradual colour, it would be split I asume if it has siblings of lutino colour, but this wont show in its own feathering.

Looks perfectly healthy, just those yellow feathers have me a touch worried.

Do you use dried fruits that were just purely dried? Or human grade ones? (human dried fruits often contain sulphites etc, not good).

The diet sounds fine, just check those dried fruits. If the yellow gets any stronger, not be sound paranoid, but I would just suggest a quick little trip the vet to do a relatively cheap blood check (just because its not natural for a green bird to show yellowing without an underlying cause).
impala400

Post by impala400 »

No, the fruits aren't human ones with the preservatives. They are dried for birds with no sugars or preservatives added. He's always had the yellowish tinge to his feathers since I've owned him, about 3 months, so I assumed that that was just his natural feather coloring. Thanks for the advice though and I'll watch his feathers closely.