male or female

Moderator: Mods

jennamarie

male or female

Post by jennamarie »

from the way my IRN was behaving towards me i expected she was female because she loves my dad but wont cum near me lol she just attacks me. However she has a little black feathers in a line towards her eyes from her beak do females get this or is it a sign of a ring. However shes only 6 months old so she's still too young for a ring. anyone???

also shes just had a moult, how many times do they go threw a moult a year?
My Bird is my Best Friend !!
Archie - Blue IRN
DOB - 22/02/09
julie

Post by julie »

Are you able to take a pic of the black?
jennamarie

Post by jennamarie »

these were the best i could get. its really fine hair, but does the colour of the beak mean anything too because her beak is going really dark

Image[/img]
Archie - Blue IRN
DOB - 22/02/09
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

what diet is the bird on?
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09
jennamarie

Post by jennamarie »

she's on a seed diet and fruit and veg every day. i tried to get her to eat pellet food but she wont touch it.
Archie - Blue IRN
DOB - 22/02/09
Fah

Post by Fah »

You will not be able to sex the bird at all feather wise really from that, when the males ring comes through its fast and furious most the time, or full feathers show solid black.

Regarding the eye thing, its very very common for hens to have a grey line there too, and in males it can be quite a strong black.

If the seed component of the diet is good quality (ie; proper small parrot to medium parrot mix) with the fruit and veg etc I would rule out diet as an issue. Pellets arent vital, if you have it on quality seed, dont have too many sunflower seeds, and give it a wide variety of fruit and veg each day, pellets aren't really required. Some prefer pellets, some prefer seed, pellets generally mean its easier, as less worry about 'what' the bird is getting diet wise.

Its also far too young to be worried about lack of sunlight effecting it at the moment.

However I would very much suggest a trip to the vet, its too young to have gone through a naturally progressive moult combined with the fact that beak is getting remarkably dark... bloodwork might be important.
jennamarie

Post by jennamarie »

o god i didn't think it was that serious. i was reading about it on the internet and someone had said their bird was the same and they suggested bruising of the beak? can the beak bruise? also she doesn't seem bothered by it she just uses it as normal but she does bash it around abit.
Archie - Blue IRN
DOB - 22/02/09