Moderator: Mods

xx_sheena_xx

DNA sexing?

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Does any one know how acurate
DNA sexing is?
SarahandEco

Post by SarahandEco »

I've heard it was about 90% accurate, but I've never tried it.

greeny

Post by greeny »

I did it and it was accurate and not too expensive, around $20.
SarahandEco

Post by SarahandEco »

I just went back to where I read that and it said it was between 85 and 99 depending on the quality of the DNA at the tip of the feather (it isn't as accurate if it's about to molt or is contaminated in some other way).

floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

for wally, when we took him to the vet, they snipped his nail a little too short so it would bleed and used that for the dna test.

The feather method is usually only used for the at home kits that you send away for the results. Mine ended up costing me 60 bucks, but it was a little different than the plucking method.
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09
greeny

Post by greeny »

I did with an online mail order service. I cut the toenail to get a few drops of blood and mailed it in on a card that they supplied. It was quite simple and did not cost much. They mailed the results and also put it on their web site where I could check it.
rnsilva

Post by rnsilva »

I did via post mail from Portugal to Brazil, using the services of Exon. You can find more info here http://www.exon.com.br/. It cost me about 4€ each test.
They haven't an English version of the website, but you can always try to contact them via mail, to faleconosco@exon.com.br

The service is really 5*

BTW, you just need to send a couple of feathers, not blood or nails...and the accuracy is theoretically 99.9%.
Best,

Ricardo Mendão Silva
jeannier

Post by jeannier »

I did the same as "Greeny". They gave me an answer via email and will also mail me a certificate. It was only 20.00. From what I hear the accuracy is high.
Jeannie