Skye doesn't talk anymore :(

Moderator: Mods

SkyBaby

Skye doesn't talk anymore :(

Post by SkyBaby »

I miss it. I heard him talk once when we brought Ani home, but now the sounds he makes are all birdie sounds, which are cute, but I miss his talking. Now that he knows this other bird can speak his birdie language, Skye doesn't use human language anymore. I'm thinking maybe individual oustide of cage play time will help with this. Their cages are in the same room. Space is limited, so keeping them in different rooms is a no go. Although our bedroom would probably be ok, but I don't think Ani would appreciate being woken up at 5 am 5 days a week by my husband when he wakes up and gets ready for work. Do you think that would be a problem? There's still an hour or so of darkness and he and Skye go to bed at around 8 pm. I would love to hear Skye's adorable voice again. I want Ani to learn from him too, even though it will be a while before he starts talking.

Edited to add another question. Do young ringies sleep a lot? Ani is 2 months old and he falls asleep sitting on the play gym. Is this normal? It is pretty cute though.

Thanks guys! Sorry for the onslaught of posts lately. :D

Edited yet again to add:
Oops.. spoke too soon. All it took was for them to be separated now Skye is chattering and saying "I love you" "Gimme kiss" (complete with the kissy sound) "You're a good parrot" and "Good boy". Yay.. man I missed this. :D

I sure hope Ani learns from Skye.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Give Sky some time, he is prob over whelmed.
greeny

Post by greeny »

I am sure Skye will continue to speak (english and birdie). He probably just got excited by the new bird and reverted to natural bird noises. If it takes some separation time to keep Skye reminded of his english, then that is a good idea.

If both you and Skye speak english to the new bird, there is a good chance s/he will learn it too.

I believe birds totally learn to speak from each other and ultimately a flock will have it's own dialect. I bet in the wild this is how they identify each other.

I see this in my birds, as a new bird will end up calling the name of a bird that was long departed before the new one arrived on the scene. It's a legacy name passed down from bird to bird.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

greeny wrote:I am sure Skye will continue to speak (english and birdie). He probably just got excited by the new bird and reverted to natural bird noises. If it takes some separation time to keep Skye reminded of his english, then that is a good idea.

If both you and Skye speak english to the new bird, there is a good chance s/he will learn it too.

I believe birds totally learn to speak from each other and ultimately a flock will have it's own dialect. I bet in the wild this is how they identify each other.

I see this in my birds, as a new bird will end up calling the name of a bird that was long departed before the new one arrived on the scene. It's a legacy name passed down from bird to bird.
Ohh that's fascinating. I do remember hearing something about that.

Oh yeah.. and I also read that baby parrots that are the most vocal of their siblings will make good talkers. Our baby is the most vocal of his/her siblings and always calls to my husband and I when we're talking. He doesn't want to be left out of the conversation after all. :D

I love my babies so much ^_^ It's so cool having two birds around.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Skye will def teach Ani to talk, don't worry. Just keep vocalizing with them.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

U.S Marine wrote:Skye will def teach Ani to talk, don't worry. Just keep vocalizing with them.
I've been doing that and Skye is talking more and more. :D