How long before IRN's are fully grown

Moderator: Mods

chiefmissile

How long before IRN's are fully grown

Post by chiefmissile »

Hi,

Me again, i have been told that my IRN is around 3-4 months old, can anyone tell by looking at the picture if this is the case?

How long until he/she is fully grown?

Drew & Archie
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

I'm definitely not sure, maybe around 1-2 months..
Thomisco7

Post by Thomisco7 »

Most birds reach their size soon after weaning, and may only grow a bit larger, so Archie may be at his full adult size now, except that he's not an adult yet!

It usually depends on the birds themselves and what gene pool they came from. Some birds are just naturally larger than others. My friend has cockatiel Casey is the regular 12 inches for a tiel, and weighs in the low 90 grams, though I've seen cockatiels in stores that are much larger than her and they are probably 12-15 or so weeks old! My Friends has cockatiels that are 100-112 grams and they are flighted in an aviary. Casey is 4 years old now and is usually clipped most of the time. Cherry head conures are said to be 13-15 inches long, and weigh in the 200 gram area. My Noel is only 11 inches long, and weighs around 150 grams. She's around 15 years old.

That's just to give you an example though
<3 Sam Already :lol:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

If that photo is very recent then I would say either your 3-4 month old bird is plucked or (in my opinion) your birdie is much younger. My birds are fully flighted and look the same, just a tiny bit smaller, than the parents by the time they are flying at around 10 weeks of age.

How long have you had Archie?

At a guess I would say Archie is around 2 months or less of age, if the photo is anything to go by.

Do you have a larger photo of him?

Are you handfeeding him formula? If Archie is much younger than you were told like I think, he should still be fed formula.

Here is Australia it is illegal to sell unweaned birds and some people will "up" the age and sell to unknowing customers. :(

Here is a pic of one of my babies from 2 years ago a few days after taking his first flight. You can see how much adult like they look at 11-12 weeks of age. :)

I think if you do a search on the forum, there is a thread showing size of chicks for age.

Archie is a cutie whatever his age. :)
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

Well, if this pic is anything to go by then I would say way young.....
My Avitar pic is Zazu @ 2 months.
So unless your baby has plucked himself, as Pink said, he has to be between 1 month and two months. Give us a bigger pic.
What is he eating?
Allie
chiefmissile

New picture

Post by chiefmissile »

Hi having trouble inserting a picture, so i have had to change my profile picture, uploading pictures here is complicated, how do you insert then into a message?

Took this picture of archie yesterday on my hand, hope this helps. he is self plucking, but seems very happy all of the time?

He is eating infant cereal "cerelac" fruits and wheat, three times a day until his crop is full, also have put some assorted seeds in his tray which he has started to investigate and nibble. He takes the infant cereal very well from a spoon.

His tail feathers have fallen out.
julie

Post by julie »

to post pics
copy the location of pic
use the Img under the subject bar when reply/ posting (next to Url) .
go [img]paste in link and then Img again
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

To insert a pic into a message, you need to copy the image code from your photo host and paste it with your message.

Most image hosts have an image code for forums, email, sites etc. Just copy the code for forums and paste. :)

I would look into why he is plucking then. If he appears happy then perhaps he has mites or an underlying problem. Sometimes it can be a certain food that begins the plucking process, (I know of someone who linked a certain type of food to their Eclectus plucking). Stress could also play a part, as well as boredom.
Do you know if he has been wormed or the parents were wormed regularly?
A few breeders have said it is unnecessary to worm young birds if the parents are wormed on a regular basis, while others say ALL birds should be wormed. I guess it depends on who you talk to. :)

I know my babies go through a "mini" moult around the age of 5-6 months. They just loose a few feathers but do not look like your little one.

With the seeds, you could try sprouting some for him to try. Sprouted seeds have a better nutritional value than normal seed.

It is very easy to sprout seed. Wash seed well in a sieve, drain, then place in a container in a warm spot. Every 6 hours or so, rinse well and replace in a clean container. In a few days little "tails" should appear on the seeds. Then it is ready to feed. :)
Sprouted seeds can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days to keep freshness.

The quickness of seed sprouting will depend of the freshness of seed and the season at the time. Obviously seed will sprout quicker in summer than winter. :)

It is very important to rinse well and often to stop any mould growing.
You can purchase water additives to help prevent mould growth. Products we have here are Water Guard and Avicleans.

I am sure with time he will be back to his feathery glory. :D :D

Maybe someone else might have a few sugestions other than what I have mentioned.
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

The bigger picture is good.
He is probably the age you were told. He has young eyes..... :shock:
I would get him checked out.
Offer him baths maybe he is ithchy?
Allie