My new baby isn't banded..

Moderator: Mods

SkyBaby

My new baby isn't banded..

Post by SkyBaby »

The breeder told us she doesn't band her ringnecks when we noticed there was no band on his/her leg. That seems a bit odd to me. The babies were all quite loved and happy and healthy looking though. I'm not gonna be breeding if this new baby turns out to be female, so is a band really necessary? I know the baby's hatch day. April 27 (same as Skye's actually, except a year later :D). Should I put a band on this baby? Does it matter either way?
jennamarie

Post by jennamarie »

hey, my IRN hasn't got a band either, i'm not using him/her for breeding though, he's more of just a loving pet so to me it doesn' really matter :D
My Bird is my Best Friend !!
Archie - Blue IRN
DOB - 22/02/09
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

jennamarie wrote:hey, my IRN hasn't got a band either, i'm not using him/her for breeding though, he's more of just a loving pet so to me it doesn' really matter :D
Ohh ok so bands are really necessary? that's good to know! I may be getting the new one micro chipped and maybe Skye too. Haven't decided on that one yet. We'll see. Thanks for the reply!
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Oh no, please don't micro chip them.
Would you want to be chipped by the
government? Sorry no hard feelings.
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

My Wally doesnt have a band either. The breeder told me she doesnt band the birds for safety reasons. I have to tend to agree.. the way the birds play all over, Id hate to see him hung up by a stupid band.

I also thought about microchipping Wally (I have two cats and they are chipped) but if it is anywhere near the same size as the cat/dog one.. that seems pretty large for my little chicken!
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

U.S Marine wrote:Oh no, please don't micro chip them.
Well there's proof of ownership. Not chipping to control them or something. :D I have Skye's band registered, but this baby doesn't have a band so chipping seems like the next best thing.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

floridamedgirl wrote:My Wally doesnt have a band either. The breeder told me she doesnt band the birds for safety reasons. I have to tend to agree.. the way the birds play all over, Id hate to see him hung up by a stupid band.

I also thought about microchipping Wally (I have two cats and they are chipped) but if it is anywhere near the same size as the cat/dog one.. that seems pretty large for my little chicken!
Hmm.. I could see that. The breeder we used didn't tell us why she doesn't band them. She has bands for cockatiels, but those are too small.

How big are chips anyways?
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

I know the ones that they put in my cats were a bit bigger than a large piece of rice... which sounds small, but really, the thing they use to implant it is like a giant hypodermic needle. It looks like a straw.

On the cat, they pull the skin taught and 'inject' the 'chip' into them. There was even a small amount of blood.

Im just worried... there isnt a whole lot of skin/room for error on the bird.
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09
greeny

Post by greeny »

When I got my young girl a year ago, she had a band. At the first vet check, he removed it. He said he always removes them as he has had to treat many birds injured due to the band.

I am glad he took it off her, I don't think she liked it anyway.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

floridamedgirl wrote:I know the ones that they put in my cats were a bit bigger than a large piece of rice... which sounds small, but really, the thing they use to implant it is like a giant hypodermic needle. It looks like a straw.

On the cat, they pull the skin taught and 'inject' the 'chip' into them. There was even a small amount of blood.

Im just worried... there isnt a whole lot of skin/room for error on the bird.
Ouch and that's the only size they got? Ok maybe not.. I'll just be uber paranoid and take my birds with me every time I travel somewhere so I know they're ok.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

greeny wrote:When I got my young girl a year ago, she had a band. At the first vet check, he removed it. He said he always removes them as he has had to treat many birds injured due to the band.

I am glad he took it off her, I don't think she liked it anyway.
Hmm I wonder if I should have Skye's removed then? He doesn't seem to notice it at all. Maybe I will when I take them in for their first vet check up.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

My bird is not banded, it does make sense that they could
get caught in stuff.
BirdNinja

Post by BirdNinja »

SkyBaby wrote:
Well there's proof of ownership. Not chipping to control them or something. :D I have Skye's band registered, but this baby doesn't have a band so chipping seems like the next best thing.
you must be a republican.... wanting to put computer chips in everyone to track them!
Lags

Post by Lags »

you must be american....making political comments on a bird forum.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

BirdNinja wrote:
SkyBaby wrote:
you must be a republican.... wanting to put computer chips in everyone to track them!
Yeah uh.. for the sake of civility let's leave politics out of it please. Thank you.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Lags wrote:you must be american....making political comments on a bird forum.
Same goes for you. Please lets keep this post focused on the question I asked. Thanks.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

BirdNinja wrote:
SkyBaby wrote:
Don't tell me you believe in politics? Have a nice day.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

U.S Marine wrote:
BirdNinja wrote:
SkyBaby wrote: Well there's proof of ownership. Not chipping to control them or something. :D I have Skye's band registered, but this baby doesn't have a band so chipping seems like the next best thing.
Don't tell me you believe in politics? Have a nice day.
What ever dude. Like I said.. let's keep this focused on the question at hand please and thank you.