Post by U.S Marine »

Into the shower we go...

Well i read all over these forums about people taking there
Ring Necks into the shower. Is it safe for the bird with all the
steam? I mean my bathroom i shower in is small & it gets foggy
inside.. :?
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

as you may know, I just got my ringneck a few weeks ago.. but I do take him into the shower... this is what Ive learned

Keep him in a place where he isnt being hit by the water. If he wants to get into the water, Ill let him stepup and Ill bring him towards the water to play.. then place him back on the towel bar/rack.

I try to do it when Im taking not so long of a shower (being a girl.. I try not to do the whole grooming/leg shaving while I have him in there).

I keep the temperature a little less HOT to cut down on steam. I think my idea of warm water is probably too hot for him...

My shower is glass doors, but I suppose if you have a curtain style shower you could leave it open a bit at either end to allow for air flow.

I shower with my bathroom door open to cut down on muggyness/steam.. I dont know if you are in a situation where you can... but thats what I do!

As he gets more familiar with the whole shower thing, he shows me that he wants to get into the water by fluffing up, raising his wings and shaking his tail.

Good Luck!
Jess
"Wally" IRN Male DOH 3/8/09
jennamarie

Post by jennamarie »

hey floridamedgirl i have a shower with glass doors too, where does ur ringneck stand while ur in the shower, i want to take mine in too but i dont know where i can put him haha
My Bird is my Best Friend !!
Archie - Blue IRN
DOB - 22/02/09
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

my shower is like a corner shower so the back two walls are tiled and the front three sides are all glass.

On the back wall (tiled) there is a towel rack/bar mounted into the tile so I just put him on the towel bar.

I have seen little pvc pipe stands you can put in the shower for your bird and I think they suction cup to the walls. I would try that!

Good Luck
Jess
dannywoods1

Post by dannywoods1 »

yes i found the below link on ebay and this is what we are looking to get ... and we will also use on for our window as bluey loves to land on part of the frame that goes across the middle as likes to see whats going on rather than sitting on the window ledge and he doesnt look comfy ... i have added pic so u can see what i mean lol ... hope this helps

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Happy-Parrot-Perc ... 3:1|294:50

Danny blue irn
floridamedgirl

Post by floridamedgirl »

hey those look even nicer than the ones Ive seen. I would definitely pick one up. I might get one for the window area myself. Looks like a good idea!
jennamarie

Post by jennamarie »

i've just put a bid on one on ebay :D
Archie - Blue IRN
DOB - 22/02/09
dannywoods1

Post by dannywoods1 »

glad it helped ... hope to see piccies soon with birdies on there new perches :D

and is your pic of your birdie jennamarie of him/her had a wash ?? ... i love the way they change colour ... heres a pic of bluey a little bit soaked bless and if looks could kill eh lol

Danny blue irn
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Funny stuff..but you can buy regular
shower ones at your local bird store.
Bella

Post by Bella »

I shower with my ringneck and caique (not at the same time tho lol) they love it, i tend to put my hand under the warm shower so that is sprays a fine coolish mist and billy loves it.

I also have two of those happy perches and they are FANTASTIC!!! i will be buying more. You can stick them to mirrors, windows, tiles, glass so our little fids can move all around the house with us :D
One thing i would say is dont get the small like in the link get the medium :)
Lucy is around the same size as a irn
so you can see that medium is perfect
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
dannywoods1

Post by dannywoods1 »

oh soooo cute bella
Danny blue irn
jennamarie

Post by jennamarie »

hi dannywoods2 yer my pic is of archie but i have to spray him to have a bath not taken him into the shower yet haha
Archie - Blue IRN
DOB - 22/02/09
groovey_jem

Post by groovey_jem »

hi iam dannywoods partner jemma blueys mum lol :D

we have to do the same but bluey loves it just as much lol
bec

Post by bec »

i wish i could but when the bird are out of the cages the cats are locked in the bathroom :cry:
Bella

Post by Bella »

dannywoods1 wrote:oh soooo cute bella
Thank you :D
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

bec wrote:i wish i could but when the bird are out of the cages the cats are locked in the bathroom :cry:
Them things are death, they will stare for ages at a birds cage..
bec

Post by bec »

actually in the lounge room the cats totally ignore the birds in the cages
not that im taking any chances if the birds are out of their cages there are at least to shut doors between them