cage mates for ringnecks?

Moderator: Mods

SkyBaby

cage mates for ringnecks?

Post by SkyBaby »

ok so i'm dying to get another bird. The only problem is my husband wont let me do it even if it's only a budgie in a smaller cage cuz he doesn't want another cage. So I want to know if there are any birds who can live with ringnecks. His cage is good sized, the dimensions are 30"wide x 35" tall x 22" deep. Can i put another bird in there with him? I'm thinking maybe a cockatiel. They both would still get plenty of human interaction together as well as one on one.

It's this one:
http://tinyurl.com/reb3cd except not with the one big door, but two smaller ones. I don't think it its' made to be divided.

I read some where you can do this with cockatiels. Cockatiels are so dusy though. Would that cause problems for Skye, being that he isn't dusty?
julie

Post by julie »

the only other bird I have with a ring neck is Mika the Alex.They both have the same attitude and can handle each others temperaments. I have heard of people with cockatiels with ring necks.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

julie wrote:the only other bird I have with a ring neck is Mika the Alex.They both have the same attitude and can handle each others temperaments. I have heard of people with cockatiels with ring necks.
Hmm that's an idea. I'd need a bigger cage to make room for the alex, but that's doable. Thanks for your reply! :)

Are yours in a cage or an aviary?
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

i have found that sue does not like our cockatiel and even clyde chases her lol i do not know about other cockatiels but mine is a big wiener LOL

now ithe cockatiels cage mate is a rosella :O
i can't even believe they get along! info suggests rosellas can be quite aggressive at times. they seem to enjoy each others company :)

also the tiels are dusty but i give mine a bath quite often and she preens herself very well and she actually isnt that dusty, well compared to when we got her as a baby.
julie

Post by julie »

mine are in a green house that has been made into a cage, its a 3 tier portable green house that has been modified . There is cages available that fit nicely into corners and save a bit of space. Mika and spike have enough room to both be doing the flying while hanging onto the cage thing and get let out fairly regularly . If you do get an Alex try to get a young one.
a24karatgd79

Post by a24karatgd79 »

I keep one of my irns in the cage with my cockatiel. They get along pretty well. Though I must say the cockatiel tries to hog all the attention.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Hey, My Ring Neck spends nights with a Quaker. They even sleep inside the same tent!!!
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

robin.s wrote:i have found that sue does not like our cockatiel and even clyde chases her lol i do not know about other cockatiels but mine is a big wiener LOL

now ithe cockatiels cage mate is a rosella :O
i can't even believe they get along! info suggests rosellas can be quite aggressive at times. they seem to enjoy each others company :)

also the tiels are dusty but i give mine a bath quite often and she preens herself very well and she actually isnt that dusty, well compared to when we got her as a baby.
Hehe how funny. I guess it's trial and error. There's this one super cute little cockatiel at the local pet store, but their birds all seemed to have scaly face several months ago. They managed to heal their birds, and some of the ones that did have it are still there. This cockatiel is a recent addition, only 2-3 days ago. Would this one still have scaly face if none of the other birds are showing any symptoms?
julie wrote:mine are in a green house that has been made into a cage, its a 3 tier portable green house that has been modified . There is cages available that fit nicely into corners and save a bit of space. Mika and spike have enough room to both be doing the flying while hanging onto the cage thing and get let out fairly regularly . If you do get an Alex try to get a young one.
Yeah I know the next bird I want is either going to be a super tame, well socialized adult or a hand raised baby if i can't find a rehome. I do like those corner units. Those are pretty nice. Now to find one big enough. I'm very picky about cage size. :D Thanks for the info!
a24karatgd79 wrote:I keep one of my irns in the cage with my cockatiel. They get along pretty well. Though I must say the cockatiel tries to hog all the attention.
Cool! as I was telling Robin.S, I guess it's all trial and error. I really want this cutie, but my husband says no. :(
U.S Marine wrote:Hey, My Ring Neck spends nights with a Quaker. They even sleep inside the same tent!!!
How cute!! Can I have some pics?? that sounds adorable. I hope the cockatiel likes Skye and Skye likes the cockatiel well enough for them to live together. I can't get the tiel though, at least not yet. Hubby says he doesn't want anymore birds :( he's expecting a parrot lover to be content with one. XD
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

wen i said Quaker i had ment a Conure. Sure let me get pictures
up tomorrow night. :)
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

U.S Marine wrote:wen i said Quaker i had ment a Conure. Sure let me get pictures
up tomorrow night. :)
Sweet! Lookin forward to it.