dog toys?

Moderator: Mods

robin.s

dog toys?

Post by robin.s »

today we caught sue playing with one of our dogs toys. its a solid rubber toys called a pup treads bone http://www.amazon.com/Pup-Treads-Rubber ... 207&sr=8-1. i was wondering if this is a harmful toy for miss sue?
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

At a guess I don't think it would be harmful unless Sue can actually swallow any parts of it. There are bird foraging toys made out of rubber stuff.
Fah

Post by Fah »

In general, rubber dog toys are possibly not the safest of ideas in the long run... they sure wont hurt it in a short timeframe however.

http://www.caiquecrazy.org/dangeroustoys.html

Many dog toys have levels of zinc and other chemicals in such small quantities (for a dog / human) that its negligible and deemed safe... however, the level of zinc in the Bird Kong as an example is actually unfit for birds as the zinc levels over time can and do lead towards poisoning.

This is sadly another reason why rubber bird toys are so costly compared to dogs heh, alot more goes into making something to withstand a beak, as well as prove to be harmless in the long and short term.
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

thank you for answering pinkdevil.
one other thing she likes is those 1 gallon /3.78 liter plastic water bottles (milk bottles also) and loved toilet paper rolls. i saw someone that said the toilet paper rolls were bad because the glue. so whats the verdict? anyone know?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

We bought Chocobo a Bird Kong two weeks ago and he loves it- now I'll
have to take it away from him. :(
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

i generally i buy the all natural toys but sue is like a magnet to that pup tread bone! i will now keep it out of her reach. thanks fah :)
Fah

Post by Fah »

I used to use big toys as foraging / muck around toys as well, and its very dissapointing to see a big name pet product like the Kong branded toys, pushing a bird toy that is made of a product not suitable for birds.

Not the first time there have been toys for birds on the market that arent actually good for birds heh.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

It got letters written on it, That could have some type of chemical.
Just remember these toy companies don't care about health, They
are for the money because we are consumers. :wink:
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Should not have "recommended by vets" written on the packaging!!! False advertising and a contradiction for sure (if the amount of zinc is too high and unsafe/toxic for birds).