Is there a difference between "pet" and "show

Moderator: Mods

sheyd

Is there a difference between "pet" and "show

Post by sheyd »

Is there a difference between "pet" and "show" quality in Birds?

I've often wondered if people bred for certain traits- non colour related to produce what they might think as the breed standard for certain species of birds. If there is a breed standard for IRN's? When showing, what are some of the things judges look out for?

Cheers!
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

I don't get into things like this, But from common
sense, I would think judges look for many, many
things. :o
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

U.S Marine wrote:I don't get into things like this, But from common
sense, I would think judges look for many, many
things. :o
Yep, I'm asking what they look for... 8)
julie

Post by julie »

I'm not quite sure what they would look for, possibly rarer mutations and things like that. I googled to see if I could find anything but got side tracked looking at a heap of other Indian ring neck things :oops:
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well judges would most likely be looking for any form of hybridisations with other Asiatics (mainly the Alexandrine).

Such as beak structure, skull formation, posture (generally IRN's are quite upright birds as an example) strong long tail feathers are also key here, and you can see some hybridisation effects with other Asiatics in odd tail lengths (too long or short for body size).

Key areas are the head though with torso and tail coming close and equal second.

In regards to showing mutations, its quite possibly a very hard thing to structure as far as show quality goes, as there are so many variations to each mutation, not to mention the light phase and dark phase modifications to the mutations etc... so really... it could prove a very difficult thing to judge and might just fall down on the judges personal opinions as to which is the more appreciable form.

Never bred for show, not a big thing here in Australia, but breeders are more often than not quite picky about birds they purchase, and often look at what a show might look at.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Thanks for your detailed answer Fah, always very helpful!