leo

New bird

Post by leo »

Hello,

Guys, i getting new bird.

i saw the baby bird legs was rather big and the skin look loose

the breeder said it mean the bird will have big body

is it true?
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Haha, What? :shock:

Probably not Leo, Just pick the bird that is alert and active.
Besides Who wants a fatty running the show? :o
Fah

Post by Fah »

Some people will say any crap if it means getting a bird out of their hands and replaced with money :P
leo

Post by leo »

hi, thanks guys,hm,but is it okay?
the bird look really earlert and healthy
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Best thing to do is bring a camera with
you and snap photos for us..Lols. No but
seriously that's all there is to it, Just pick
the tamest bird who is alert.
Fah

Post by Fah »

It is far too early to even think about the birds personality at an age where they have yet to feather up still.

Best bet is a pic of the bird. Second best bet is to compare it with pics on these forums and on the net as to what it should look like. If it looks different / odd, there is a problem.
leo

Post by leo »

o, i countered check witht he internet's picture, yea,the baby leg skin is much looser nad flabier, and more orange,i mean darker orange thna the normal whitish yellow lutino legs...

but other than that, he explores, beg for food and chater alot...
he look perfectly heathy and smart...

should i get him?

another thing, he is the greediest and have a bigest body but shortest tail among the rest, there were 4 inthe shop
julie

Post by julie »

hi Leo , how old is the baby ? here is a thread with some pics of a young bird if you want to check it out.http://indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4964
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

leo wrote:o, i countered check witht he internet's picture, yea,the baby leg skin is much looser nad flabier, and more orange,i mean darker orange thna the normal whitish yellow lutino legs...

but other than that, he explores, beg for food and chater alot...
he look perfectly heathy and smart...

should i get him?

another thing, he is the greediest and have a bigest body but shortest tail among the rest, there were 4 inthe shop
Post the pictures here, Please? :?
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

julie wrote:hi Leo , how old is the baby ? here is a thread with some pics of a young bird if you want to check it out.http://indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4964
Julie, I think leo's bird choices are older then that. Leo did say it has its tail in already.. :roll: :)
Last edited by U.S Marine on Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

I personaly wouldn't By a bird if it has loose skin. I think we need a photo to tell you if the baby is healthy or not.
leo

Post by leo »

i flight traini thano indoor and out door, so his fligth feahter are unclipped...he did very well out door and inddor fligth, but

guys..i'm gona tell you a bad news...

i went for about 4 hours...come back found my dinig table is in a big mass and tango cage was open...
he probably open the cage with wooden chop stick which is chewed in to split end...found the split end stucked at the cage locking.

manage to find him at 6.30 near home, abt 7 metre from ground...
early in the morning, i lure him down with sun flower seed, when he about to dive down, some body started motor bike engine, then he take hight

from there he keep playing chasing with me...at 12, he stuck at about 6 storey high tree, then i saw a vehicle used to cut the tree, die die dont want to help !!!!

then tango take flight to no where....
in the afternoon, seen him in the out door training field, look like he want to fly down, but always take height again...dono why he dont fly down...

this morning i saw him flying very high, higher then the apartment, in very high speed and gone...from there, i never seen him again,,..i looked every where and keep whistling till ppl think im nut...no reply..

i put poster on lost bird and look around every day, but, there was no reply at all, suddenly,there are a pair of hawk in the trianing field for the past 1 weeks, tango gone on saturday, one and half week ago...

it break my heart really badly, i took all precaution in training outdoor, but he did really well, but, he manage to open the door by his own and escape and refuse to fly down....

and yea...tango has gone, i have gave up...
thats is why im getting a new IRN,....

i will post the post the last memorial of tango later and post some pic of the baby after i took it

thanks alot fah, julie and and marine...
julie

Post by julie »

U.S Marine wrote:
julie wrote:hi Leo , how old is the baby ? here is a thread with some pics of a young bird if you want to check it out.http://indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=4964
Fah, I think leo's bird choices are older then that. Leo did say it has its tail in already.. :roll: :)
what exactly are you rolling your eyes at? If you actually look at the last pic of the young bird it has a tail.
Fah

Post by Fah »

First off those pics of Julies birds are great examples of what a young bub should look like.

Heh, in his posts before I made mine, there was not a single reference to the birds age / tail, but after reading his post after mine I realised this :D

To Leo however...

I dont want to be rude, but I think I am going to say what some others who have been keeping up with your unlucky events with your Ringneck experience might be thinking.

You need to sit back and take things far more seriously and safely than you do with your next bird.

A bird cage should be escape proof, there is no excuse after the first time this nearly killed tango. Metal clips etc are very cheap, even some very cheap tiny padlocks for all opening areas of the cage if you must, but you need to work harder at actually securing your bird.

You need to take your steps with birds far more carefully than what I can asume you are doing so far. At the moment, it seems like you have made up your mind on what your going to do in regards to getting this bird, even though we cant even get close to helping you in that decision without a pic.

Dont rush your next purchase to fill the space left behind by tango. Weigh things up carefully and keep in mind your birds happieness is just as important as your own, never forget that.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

julie wrote:
U.S Marine wrote:
Fah, I think leo's bird choices are older then that. Leo did say it has its tail in already.. :roll: :)
what exactly are you rolling your eyes at? If you actually look at the last pic of the young bird it has a tail.
Yeah your right, It does have a tail wen you scroll down.
julie

Post by julie »

Leo are you going to be able to keep this new bird safe? really think hard about it. I'm sorry to say but if you come to me to get one of my babies, you would be turned away. im not trying to be nasty so please don't take it to heart. You need to learn how to safely keep birds before you replace tango.
julie

Post by julie »

Leo doesn't actually say how old the "baby" is. there was 2 reasons i posted a link to my thread, 1 the chic in the pic has what looks like baggy skin because it is so young and 2 it also had some pretty big fat feet at that age :lol: and no spike isn't very big now :lol:
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Do you have a post on these forums with recent pictures of spike?
julie

Post by julie »

U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Cool pictures Julie.

Leo, Get a padlock maybe you should put two padlocks on the cage :lol: ..Look at my birds cage do you see the padlock, I just posted photos in the photo section. You can pick padlocks up at a hardware store or maybe kmart, walmart..
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

I agree with Julie and Fah, you need to keep your birds safe. You need to put a lock on the cage and make sure you lock it every time you leave your house. You don't want to have to replace another bird because it escaped like Tango did. I'm very sorry she got out though.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Makes me wonder..How did the bird get outside the house? :cry:
julie

Post by julie »

U.S Marine wrote:Makes me wonder..How did the bird get outside the house? :cry:
I wondered that the first few times tango escaped.
leo

Post by leo »

i have bought tango a bigger cage and the lock was friction lock, where even im having dificulties in opening it.

i would not expect a bird streanth can be stronger than human...yea, but he escaped....i tried my best to keep it safe, and did not take things lightly as you think. i even net up the window. it happen that there was guess earlier that we have to remove the nets. ya, but tango escaped and gone. its my fault...
you guys are right, may be i m not up to the level in keeping parrot yet, and should not get another bird...

okay then, i will wait for the next time...

thanks for the advice
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Leo, How can a bird open a friction lock with a CHOPSTICK? Google a friction lock..
leo wrote:i flight traini thano indoor and out door, so his fligth feahter are unclipped...he did very well out door and inddor fligth, but

guys..i'm gona tell you a bad news...

i went for about 4 hours...come back found my dinig table is in a big mass and tango cage was open...
he probably open the cage with wooden chop stick which is chewed in to split end...found the split end stucked at the cage locking.

manage to find him at 6.30 near home, abt 7 metre from ground...
early in the morning, i lure him down with sun flower seed, when he about to dive down, some body started motor bike engine, then he take hight

from there he keep playing chasing with me...at 12, he stuck at about 6 storey high tree, then i saw a vehicle used to cut the tree, die die dont want to help !!!!

then tango take flight to no where....
in the afternoon, seen him in the out door training field, look like he want to fly down, but always take height again...dono why he dont fly down...

this morning i saw him flying very high, higher then the apartment, in very high speed and gone...from there, i never seen him again,,..i looked every where and keep whistling till ppl think im nut...no reply..

i put poster on lost bird and look around every day, but, there was no reply at all, suddenly,there are a pair of hawk in the trianing field for the past 1 weeks, tango gone on saturday, one and half week ago...

it break my heart really badly, i took all precaution in training outdoor, but he did really well, but, he manage to open the door by his own and escape and refuse to fly down....

and yea...tango has gone, i have gave up...
thats is why im getting a new IRN,....

i will post the post the last memorial of tango later and post some pic of the baby after i took it

thanks alot fah, julie and and marine...
Last edited by U.S Marine on Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
leo

Post by leo »

im not too sure on how he open the door...
the wooden chop stickis hung. tango some how acidentally or purposely manage to insert the chopstik in to the handle of the cage lock. so, if the bird push down the rope that hung the chop stick,the cage lock will be pulled up, which is how i we usually open the cage. its really sturdy lock, really,i would never espect tangocan open it...however,it is thestandard cage use for gray and zon in ly area,so i was thinking if the lock can secure zon, it sould be no prob for tango. do you get the picture ?

Makes me wonder..How did the bird get outside the house?

i dont get you,you mean how the bird fly out?

I wondered that the first few times tango escaped
tango escaped 1 time as he manage to open the fodd container door when i did not place the food container there.

should i get the baby bird, iwill go to the breeder and take the picture,it think it look something like spike when young, the leg is big,only the skin is loose,
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Leo, I'm not trying to be mean but i don't think you shouyld get the baby IRN. You don't seem to be able to keep your bird's safe and have them in a cage that they can't get out of. You need to think about a lock for you cage door before you even consider getting another bird to replace Tango.
leo

Post by leo »

last nite i think alot about what fah said, yup, a simple pad lock can solve alot of trouble...but wait, i have a rather personal questions...

you guys keep saying that i cant keep the bird safe right? and saying i should not keep parrot,...?
well, may i know who never lost bird before? do they still keep bird?
how escape proof can a cage be ? even if you put your cage in to another cage, it do not guarentee your cage to be 100% escape proof

sheena, do you ever lost any bird before? never?
if you do,whyare you still keeping birds? or you never, its great then. how many ppl ever lost their bird? but what to do, we can only try our best, sometimes it is just careless or unpredictable thing that happen.
dont say any of you never be careless at all, i believe you guys do careless thing before.

i believe, alot of bird keeper ever lost their bird before. i did not put padlock or any wire because it is too trouble some to open or close the already troublesome cage door.as my bird was not clipped, i net the window, as i mentioned. but it was so unlucky that i have gueses coming to the house and have to remove all the netting. and on that day, tango escape. so, friction lock door and uggly neting on the window and toilet was not enough ? if not, i would really appriciate sugestions for extra precautions.......any ?

at least i have do mybest searching for him, putting up poster, being scholded by residents for putting up "rubish" poster on lost pets, searching on every tree, chase away hawks when i saw them fly low at the training field, bowing training whistle every where, i did this every day for 9 days earli in the morning and after my work, i even think,alot of resident think im a nut guy...it is very hurtfull when ther resident was chatting with dialect, thinking i cant understant them. they say, im very pethatic, stupid and idiot, calling for stupid bird, as ifit will come down...then they lough so happily...

i wonder how many bird keeper will bother to look for the bird.? so far i knew, they just happily go to the bird shop and cash out for new bird

i come here is just to share with u guys, but honestly, so far i know, i get nothing but scholding...saying as if im the only person ever lost a pet bird...and as if i did nothing

but,fah and julie, thank, i know u mean well, and you have been giving me great advise since i join this forum...thanks for the advise, i will ad padlock in the door...
julie

Post by julie »

Leo can you post a pic of the cage you are planning on using please.I'm a little concerned that an African Grey is a much bigger bird than a ring neck and wonder what the bar spacing is like.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

I think his English skills are not to good because he is from Singapore, Maybe that is why we can not understand a word he says. :?

Leo, If you want the baby bird then get it. But what you are telling us does not make any sense, It seems as if you killed your bird. No one is going to stop you from buying that new bird.
leo

Post by leo »

i used this cage

and here is the baby im getting

this is the last thing i can share about tango
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

The last video was great, The new baby bird video
looked like the bird is perfectly fine. No one is going
to stop you getting the bird, Good luck.
Last edited by U.S Marine on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
leo

Post by leo »

youp, i know,
my english is not good, but i can understand what u guys are saying...
what i was trying to say was, some of u guys write like as if i did not do anything as precaution of the escape
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Your English is not bad, Just wen you type it is incorrect spelling.
leo

Post by leo »

im not too sure on the sentance
ou don't seem to be able to keep your bird's safe and have them in a cage that they can't get out of. You need to think about a lock for you cage door before you even consider getting another bird to replace Tango.
does it sound to you that sheena was saying i dont care to prevent tango from the escape?

what is it sound to you?
leo

Post by leo »

i was at work, and was typing as fast as possible before getting caught, so i tend to use spelling that is used in short msg(sms)
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Oh, Yea like right now your spelling is fine. Doesn't matter
what others say just do what you have to do. No one can
judge you but Mother Earth. You are her soul..
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

I was not trying to judge you Leo, i'm sorry if it seemed like i was. All i was trying to say is please get a paddlock for your bird cage because i don't want any of your bird to escape like Tango did. The baby you have picked looks very healthy and beautiful. Good luck with him or her.
leo

Post by leo »

yea, im fine now...sheena, thanks for your concern, i was just a little frustated by the fact that i have done everything to keep tango, but he flew off, worse, the resident was mocking me, and come to forum, i was talked as if i did nothing...

anyway, thanks...i guess i could see the bigger and more +ve picture now...
julie

Post by julie »

Is it just me or is there a problem with the cere (nostrils)?
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Was the baby eating before the picture Leo?
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Yeah the cere does look a little strange. Could it just be food?
julie

Post by julie »

To me it doesn't look like there is a gap between the nostril and the beak.have a look above at the green fella (top of page in header) see how there is a small gap that separates the nostril and the beak.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

Yea i see what your talking about, it doesn't look good :(
leo

Post by leo »

i will asked more detail...if i was not wrong, he mention that it was chinese herb formula to make the baby grow to its maximum, prevent stunt and ...
not too sure, was not attentive to what he say, anyway, i will get right to the bottom

i fetching him soon...
i called him to ask aboutt he bird cere and sent the now picture
julie

Post by julie »

why would the baby need Chinese medicine to help it grow? :cry: I would not be getting a bird from this breeder.
U.S Marine

Post by U.S Marine »

Leo its up to you, We are not your mother. Decide.. :?
Fah

Post by Fah »

hehe, up to you, your bird your problem in the long run mate.

I have never heard of formula seeping from the nostrils... its unheard of.

Once again mate, I am utterly lost as to the point of this thread, you often start with a question and go with something regardless of the worries other people have.

I think the problem is, where you are from, people seem to do things different, too different possibly, for us to understand the legitimacy of. So far all i hear is questions over the quality of the bird, and some breeder feeding it the equivilant of steroids to make it a better bird to sell... regardless of what it does to the birds health / nature.

I am sure you will be happy with your new addition while you have it, though I am pretty certain if it escapes, you might not want to bring that fact up here lol

Like US Marine said, we are not your parents, we have said as much as we can.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I have had my 4 Lutino handraised birds open and escape from their cages but luckily they were indoors at the time. I put clips on the doors after that but they then opened the food and water doors and pushed their food dished out before squeezing through.

These birds are the first ones I have owned that have ever learnt to open and escape from their cages. So I can easily see how a bird can escape a cage.

I have noticed though, that these 4 were the only ones that used to "study" me when I opened the feed doors to change their water and food. Maybe they are "super intelligent"!!! :lol: :lol:

Leo, you are not alone of having birds escape. :?

Does that cage have an open top?

It looks similar to a cage I have here that has an open top. The bar spacing is fine but I have noticed that the spacing on the top that opens is wider in some areas.
Maybe Tango squeezed through there???

I would also be very weary of birds given "chinese herb formula to make the baby grow to its maximum". Kind of reminds me of steroids!! :shock:

But I can see why you would have fallen for the little fella, very cute. :)

Maybe before you buy another bird, make sure you have done all you can to prevent another situation like Tangoes, and make everything is as escape proof as you possibly can. Even if you need to put double locks on things just to be safe. After all, for the slight inconvienence of having to open 2 locks on one door is better than having to spend days looking for your bird. :)

Is there any other breeders that you could look at their birds first before buying this little one? Just to compare and see if this one is "right" for you? Just a thought. :)

It is a shame you live in an area where people don't realise just how attatched and loved our "babies" are to us, and think alot of fuss just over a bird. :(

They are the ones missing out on the love and rewards WE have in return for the love we show for our birds and animals.

If there were more animal lovers like you in the world, then this planet would be a far happier and safe place for our beloved furry and feathery friends in stead of the neglect and abuse alot of pets go through.

Anyway, I am still keeping my fingers crossed that Tango will return to you. Afterall, she did the first time. :)

Good luck.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

I have been reading this thread and it seems like Leo is a little misunderstood. We all know how clever these birds are, we have all had times when we could have lost them to the wild, or had an accident happen to them, not through neglect but through lack of knowing. We learn from mistakes, thats the way the world works.

It seems Leo was just concerned about the new babies skin and feet and wanted some advice on this. I also don't think that chinese medicine is "anything" like steroids, more like a natural vitamin/mineral boost, much like the stuff they boost seed and pellet mixes with but in my opinion the chinese medicine would actually be far more natural than those used in our culture.

We all care about our babies, we worry for other fids in the world and where they end up, and that the owners know what they are doing. From what I see of the vids and the way Leo has come to us for help I am sure he cares and loves these birds and I feel he simply had one very clever, very adventurous fid on his hands.

If we give him the right advice and support (as in pinkdevils post for example), I am sure he will not lose another bird. We can help him, making him stop and think is a good thing, but judging him and telling him that because of one mistake he can never have another bird and shouldn't come here for help isn't right.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless