How is a Indian Ringneck better than an Conure?

Moderator: Mods

thefarmofcool

Post by thefarmofcool »

I am still deciding which to get.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

lol That's like asking "How is a bike better than a car" lol

They both have their pros and cons.

I have both Sun Conures and IRNs. My Suns seem to be easier to teach tricks to and I think are meant to be better talkers. They are smaller birds but their beak is just as ouchy as Ringies lol. I think Suns are noisier than Ringies to. If you have limited room for a cage then a Conure will take up a bit smaller space.
If you are after a cuddlier bird, then a conure could be the way to go. If you are after a bird that is happy to do their own thing but be with you, then a ringie might be for you. :)

Their diet is fairly similar.

I love IRNs because they have a great personality even if they are not the most cuddly of birds. I also love their long elegant tail. They come in a huge range of colours now, almost one for every taste! They are a general "all rounder" bird. :D

Good luck with choosing. :)
bec

Post by bec »

irns arnt duddly?
dont tell skeet that!!!!
ok i suppose out of 5 irns i have one cuddle bug
but 5 amazing personalities that are always suprising me with their antics i realy dont know much about conures so i cant realy give you a comparison
Fah

Post by Fah »

I breed and have pets both several species of conures and several ringnecks.

Sunnies generally pick up phrases fast if you teach them, but the best sound you will get will be short loud budgie quality talk. Conures, and sunnies, are like little puppies, cuddly, bouncy, loud and use their beaks alot, with a tendancy to be nippy for many owners not picking up exactly what they want.

Indian Ringnecks are worlds appart from conures... they are kind of a refined bird if you can say that. They have all the personaity of a conure, cept they are generally not as cuddly (can be just as good, but takes an experienced hand). They are very playful just like conures, they are much less piercing than a sunnie when they do start screaming, but ringnecks have something conures dont, singing ability...

You will often have ringnecks chatting and flirting away, learning words isnt hard if you are focusing on that kind of thing, and they are famous for being one of the best talkers for their size around, I know ringnecks that can talk the pants off anything.

They are worlds appart when it comes to visual and mental aspects.

Maybe you can look at your environmental factors to help decide. Sun Conures (like any of the family containing jendays as well, and similar families like the nanday) are some of the loudest birds in the pet market. There are many cases of Sunnies causing noise complaints, and this does also mean pets in unit / townhouse arrangements. So keep that in mind if you live in something like that.

I have never heard of a ringneck causing that probem, if you have a bird like that, you managed to teach it to scream, as its seriously not natural to them, its learned behaviour for them.

Their diets are basicly the same, their aviary and cage needs are the same.

Sunnies do bite harder than Ringnecks, and use their beaks far more than Ringnecks do, which can be misread as a bite, as trying to tell a bird how hard to use its beak when climbing is like trying to discus a real problem with a politician.