deformed wing

Moderator: Mods

lutino

deformed wing

Post by lutino »

Hi, my irn is 6months old and i got her when she was 9wks. I had ordered her from a breeder, so she was hand feed. When i went to get her they said they had already clipped her wings which was fine. But when i saw her they had clipped her completely wrong-more like hacked. They clipped the whole of one wing back to a stump and left the other. I didnt say anything to them. Now her flight feathers are growing back but they dont sit right, they are pointing way up in the air!! :( Her other down feathers havnt started growing back.
None of this bothers her, but i want to know if it will ever correct itself???
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I'm not sure if I'm visualizing this correctly...could you post photo's?
lutino

Post by lutino »

Sorry, I dont have a camera. Basically the long feathers on the side of the wing (the flight feathers) are growing back, but they point upwards, rather than down along the side of the body.
Fah

Post by Fah »

I have never heard of someone experiencing this before, but all kinds of terrible side effects can come from extreme clips and possibly harsh handling doing it.

Best bet is to take it down to a vet and get it looked at, just because it isnt bothering it doesnt mean its not in pain, a bird will never show pain unless its seriously on its last legs. Its a survival tactic, if they show weakness or pain, they get picked on as they are a burden on the flock... its natural for them to look ok when something is going wrong.
lutino

Post by lutino »

Yea i should do. My flat mate is a 4th year vet and shes not sure what they could do for her. May be a splint, but then she would probably pick at it. :(
Fah

Post by Fah »

Sadly (in no way am i taking a stab at your friend) experienced vets are often quite useless when it comes to birds and similar 'out of the norm' vet items.

I have come across many a vet who couldnt answer the most basic bird problems or know the most basic of dietary needs for certain high maintenance species.

You need to find yourself an Avian Vet, and nothing other really, as almost any non bird specific or heavily bird experienced vet can lead you in almost any direction. You will often find that Zoo's have some of the best avian vets around, and they are often the first place I go to when in doubt. Their vets are often more than willing to help (they arent free, like any other vet, often cost a touch more, and times are rather out of sync and in their favour as you would expect).
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

You need to ring the Breeder asap and TELL THEM they are doing it wrong!!! It's not only your bird they are putting in jeopardy! They could seriously harm and possibly cripple birds by clipping the wings the wrong way.

Can you bird fly now that the feathers are growing back?

Im actually horrified by this post, and quite infuriated aswell! Ring the breeder ASAP! How do people learn if they aren't told they are making a mistake?
threio

Post by threio »

yEAH, this gives me the creeps!

Most definitately find a Avian Vet !!!

Threio will be One in a couple of days and his flight feathers have fully grown back after a 6 mos. clipping.

Full new feather suit is gorgeous ... LOL

Not sure what UR baby's wings look like but Threio's lay flat to his back and CROSS to make an X .

I don't understand STICKING UP.... maybe a friend with a cellphone can take a pic, so U can post for the more experienced owners can take a peak and give U a better answer.