Odd wing?

Moderator: Mods

sheyd

Odd wing?

Post by sheyd »

Sometimes when Chocobo flaps his wings and glides/falls to the floor, if he bumps into something on the way down, he'll look like he's hurt, and hold his right wing up and out in a weird manner.
This really scares me as he'll wiggle the wing up and down as he tries to get it back into place (it looks as though he cannot put it back) and some of his feathers can usually be seen sticking up underneath his wing.

Can birds dislocate their wings...?

He'll usually preen like mad and then his wing goes back to normal and he is his usual happy self.. Is this a fairly common occurrence?

Cheers guys :?

Only happens with his right wing?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Okay, I think he's irritated by his feathers (once bumped, stick up or down into him)...What do you guys think?

He's over preened like mad, and I hope he doesn't develop a feather chewing problem.

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:( Oh no. Poor bub! It does look like hes chewed it up a bit.

Sometimes my 2 get a random 'sticky uppy' feather on or under the wing that just irritates them. Ive seen mine hold a wing up, but usually they either place the feather back where its meant to be or do the 'shake' to dislodge it. Sometimes the feather is just molting out and needs a quick shake to get it out. :? I would watch and see if he pulls the feather out or it just falls out.

Definately keep an eye on it.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Sometimes my 2 get a random 'sticky uppy' feather on or under the wing that just irritates them. Ive seen mine hold a wing up,

That sounds exactly like what is happening- he looks as though he is trying to put his wing over his back and while doing this he can become over balanced (while on the floor) and almost falls over...it looks as though he's hurt but I don't think that he could be, as he does this if he bumps my hand or couch (soft fabric) on the glide (wings are clipped) down and it's never a fair height to fall (less than a metre when he does) He never squarks or acts like he's in pain after he's adjusted his wing and feathers back to normal and it hasn't affected his ability to fly down off of things after either.

I just really don't like to see him hold his wing up that way :shock:

Thanks for your reply Lauren :D
Janet

wings

Post by Janet »

My guys do that. It used to freak me out too but now I'm used to it.