Ringneck colour mutations

Moderator: Mods

ozziekate05

Ringneck colour mutations

Post by ozziekate05 »

Hi All !! I am ozziekate05 and am very new to this !! lol Now what i was going to ask is a question about our 2 pairs of RINGNECKS being a turquoise DF pallidino cock and we have paired him up with a DF grey lacewing hen .
And my other pair is a turquoiseblue pallidino cock paired up with a DF grey lacewing hen her head is white . I purchased all 4 from a very reputable breeder who has been into colour mutations for 28 years , what are some colours we should get from future babies , cheers ozziekate :D
ozzie
Fah

Post by Fah »

A DF turquoise bird will throw all turquoise young, single factor only if the hen has no turquoise.

Pair 1)

Cocks:
Turquoise Grey Pallidino
Turquoise Grey Pallid
Hens:
Creamino (masking grey)
Turquoise Grey Pallid

Since the below pair has only one parent with single factor turquoise, young are 50% single factor turquoise and 50% non.

Pair 2)

Cocks:
Grey Pallidino
Turquoise Grey Pallidino
Grey Pallid
Turquoise Grey Pallid
Hens:
Albino (masking grey)
Creamino (masking grey)
Grey Pallid
Turquoise Grey Pallid
ozziekate05

Re: Ringneck colour mutations

Post by ozziekate05 »

ozziekate05 wrote:Hi All !! I am ozziekate05 and am very new to this !! lol Now what i was going to ask is a question about our 2 pairs of RINGNECKS being a turquoise DF pallidino cock and we have paired him up with a DF grey lacewing hen .
And my other pair is a turquoiseblue pallidino cock paired up with a DF grey lacewing hen her head is white . I purchased all 4 from a very reputable breeder who has been into colour mutations for 28 years , what are some colours we should get from future babies , cheers ozziekate :D
Sorry i made a mistake !! the 2nd pair is a DF turquoiseblue pallidino cock with a DF grey lacewing hen
ozzie
Fah

Post by Fah »

Ah coolies

Then the two pairs are genetically identical. So use the option from Pair 1)

There are no DF pallids, im just guessing that was a typo. (pallid is the true name for lacewing, lacewing is technically an outdated and incorrect name for the mutation).

Regarding the turquoise mutation, it is a primary mutation, that is an allele of the Blue mutation.

A DF turquoise bird is one where there are two turquoise genes, whereas a regular TurquoiseBlue bird has one turquoise gene and one blue gene.

A DF turquoise put with any non turquoise bird, all young will be TurquoiseBlue (single factor turquoise).

A turquoiseBlue (SF turq) when placed with a non turquoise, will throw half of its young as turquoiseBlue and half with no turquoise at all.
ozziekate05

Post by ozziekate05 »

Thankyou so much for that valued information I like to copy and paste all info so i can print out , I am new to to all this mutation stuff , and i am totally enjoying it , there has ovivously been alot of work in it !! years and years !!! I would love to breed the violets , and often wonder what birds they paired first ??
Say for instance i wanted to take a short cut and breed the violets , what pairings would i need Cheers ozziekate05
ozzie
Fah

Post by Fah »

Violets are incredibly easy to breed with.

Violet is a stunning mutation, which is going to become really cheap as time goes on.

Ideally, you dont want to put violet with any grey bird, as the grey masks the violet colour completely, same with ino lines, I wont tell people what to and what not to put birds with, but it makes life easier for the breeder, and future owner of their bloodlines to know what genetics is actually in the bird.

The cheapest way to get into violet, and most practical, is with a Violet Blue (just called violet 99% of the time by sellers) bird. Male or female, doesnt matter.

Put that bird with any old blue and 50% of the young will be violet. Its a stunningly easy mutation to work with, hence why prices are dropping quickly. Two years ago a violet would have cost $1k easily, now I wouldnt pay more than $600 for a violet baby. There are often sellers dropping down to $550-500 already.

If you want to get into violets cheaply in the future, try get just a hen, not a cock bird, as most mutations are sex linked, so make the most from using a cock bird with those sex linked mutations with a violet hen.

This is why people like myself and others use forums like this, learning never stops, no matter how much you think you know about a species there is always going to be something new to jump out at you.
ozziekate05

Post by ozziekate05 »

Thankyou for your kind help !! Wow i just love this site !! cheers Ozzie
ozzie