Harness trained birds?

Moderator: Mods

Bella

Harness trained birds?

Post by Bella »

Well now that i have tamed billy enough to be able to touch and slightly lift his wings i am hoping to harness train him in time for the summer so that we can take walks together with the dog and my little boy.
Im also hoping that someday once ive tame down my other fids they will also be harness trained and also be able to join the walks :)

Ive ordered my harness and fingers crossed it will be here sometime this week but my question is are any other fids on here harness trained? i know people with other birds that are but no irns :(
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

I have the Aviator harness for my ringie, Skye. I tried the feathe-tether. Those things are junk. How I got him to get used to the aviator was to have it draped on me while cuddling. At first he freaked. Then he got used to it to the point where while giving him scritchies, i could slip the head loop over his head and he wouldn't freak out as bad. It's still a battle to get the whole thing on. I wont take him outside without it, though. I've only done it a time or two.

So the basic process seems to be:

1. Have the harness draped on you while you cuddle your bird (don't put it over him/her yet)
2. as he gets used to having it around, drape it over his body and give him/her lots of scritchies while doing so.
3. begin lifting the wing like you've already conditioned the bird to accept and touching the bird underneath the wing with the harness while giving him scritchies.
4. Then as he gets used to that, try putting it on all the way and see what happens.

Some birds never accept the harness. I've only ever tried two different harness. The Feather-tether and the Aviator (that's the good one) on two different birds. I got the feather-tether for my old cockatiel and the Aviator for my IRN.

Good luck! Keep us updated!