Heatwave!!

Moderator: Mods

TD

Heatwave!!

Post by TD »

I just watched the weather news, and we're expecting 5 days in a row of 40deg temperatures here in Melbourne.
I am lucky that my aviaries are in a well shaded spot!
Just wondering how other owners manage the heat with their birds? Do your Ringies cope ok with 'heatwave' like conditions?
One of my favourite Ringneck behaviours is watching their reaction from a spray with the hose, it's priceless!
I know Adelaide is probably even hotter, so Fah might like to comment on his comfort level over there at the moment!

Cheers

Tim.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Yup, we have two days of 42 degree temps lined up people (reported 41, however northern adelaide can expect easily 1 degree higher difference), and another two of bare minimum of 38 reported. Worst weather I can remember in the last 4-5 years that I have been here.

My guys have gone through -2 through to 41 before, but not for more than 2 days at a time, and anything over 37 you will see giving my birds extra sprays with a hose, even if they dont appreciate it at the time, it does make a difference.

Its not fun, and even less fun for the birds... in that weather you can find water bowls half empty if not completely empty after lunch due to evaporation and/or birds bathing to escape the heat.

Sprinklers, drippers etc are always great to have on your avairy, double roofs are a plus, shaded areas great... but you can get by with a hose and a spray nosel and going out every 1-2 hours to give them a shower if you have a more open setup. Just because they are in an Aviary doesnt mean they are tuff :P Flocks of Australian birds have been dropping stone dead in Western Australia with heat waves (by more than the hundreds), not sure if anyone read that anywhere will try did up the link. Natural heat waves are natural bird killers, and fact is, these guys cant sweat to let the breeze cool them down... they rely utterly on shade and water, and lots of it.

People also need to remember there is no legal aspect that can stop you running a sprinkler for the health and well being of your birds, regardless of the water restrictions, so keep that water flowing if you need to, and I suspect many of us will. It isnt a good idea to move your birds in anything above 35 anyway, so if you cant hose them down with work in the way, and they are looking to get in trouble... bring them inside into temp cages or even on the patio or something in the solid shade to the best you can, and do it very early in the morning or very late in the afternoon before dark. During the day can ultimately do some heavy damage.

EDIT:
Tue ..... 42°C
Wed ..... 42°C
Thur ..... 41°C
Fri ..... 41°C
Sat ..... 39°C
julie

Post by julie »

I'm in Wagga wagga and its pretty damn hot here. I have gone out a couple of times to find mine swimming in their water bowls. They don't seem to mind the heat that much, they do however look like crap as they are all moulting something shocking :shock:
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

That is great to know that water restrictions do not apply to looking after your animals. I have been "sneaking" water during the day to keep my animals cool.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

julie wrote:They don't seem to mind the heat that much, they do however look like crap as they are all moulting something shocking :shock:

Yours too Julie. Kai has really hit the molt hard this time, all others have renewed and look pristine again, but Kai is still really shabby around the neck and under the wings on the back of his body, I can see some small blue feathers just coming back in, but am actually hoping its not more towards stress aswell :( Keeping a very close eye and giving plenty of sprays, plus accessable water bowls.

The bird aviaries are under the silver birches down the southern side of the house and only get the morning sun from one side, so keep pretty cool. Lucky I have been home until this thursday
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

pinkdevil wrote:That is great to know that water restrictions do not apply to looking after your animals. I have been "sneaking" water during the day to keep my animals cool.

We are lucky down in south gippy, our water catchments are doing well and have no restrictions, just permanent water saving measures. No washing cars or watering lawns etc. but we all still keep to saving water. Just nice, if needed to be able to grab the hose out.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Fah

Post by Fah »

It didnt get below 30 here last night, and there was a special warning saying its going to be 44 (after yesterdays 42.7).

Anyone who doesnt have a well setup water system / double roof in that heat needs to be paranoid heh. I brought in all the aviary birds that dont have double roofing / water systems up.
julie

Post by julie »

I don't think it was the heat but I lost 1 pair yesterday. I'm not sure if it was something they ate or what it was but the others all seem fine. I was feeding them up for breeding season.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Oh boy! Going to be a tough week for the birds. Ive been trying to cool them down with frozen fruits and giving them a soaking every couple of hours. Im trying not to let them fly since they get puffed easy in the heat. So they are stuck in the bathroom, (coolest room in house). I dont have air con either! I know my mum would not like me to take them over to her house as she has air con. (Shes not really much of a bird lover). So we're just going to have to bare it here. The fans have been on non stop, but they just blow the hot air around! :( Its stinkin!

Atleast I can open up the house over night and let some, well, not so much cooler air in. But the house is closed during the day. Not that, that makes a difference! lol.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Fah wrote:People also need to remember there is no legal aspect that can stop you running a sprinkler for the health and well being of your birds, regardless of the water restrictions, so keep that water flowing if you need to, and I suspect many of us will. It isnt a good idea to move your birds in anything above 35 anyway, so if you cant hose them down with work in the way, and they are looking to get in trouble... bring them inside into temp cages or even on the patio or something in the solid shade to the best you can, and do it very early in the morning or very late in the afternoon before dark. During the day can ultimately do some heavy damage.

EDIT:
Tue ..... 42°C
Wed ..... 42°C
Thur ..... 41°C
Fri ..... 41°C
Sat ..... 39°C

Oh Im glad to hear that its legal to keep the pets happy and safe. Because Im sure we've had a few bad looks from neighbours when I clean the bird cages outside, I usually throw a couple of buckets of hot water over them when cleaning.

Im feeling for all your birdies in avairies. They do it the toughest out there! If I had avairies Id be taking all them inside.

Julie: :( Im so sorry for your loss. It cant be easy. :(
Fah

Post by Fah »

I am sorry Julie :/ Never a nice thing to have happen... even if it was the weather that aided in the problem its never something you can really work with like that.

One other thing to worry about in this heat is botulism (not as painful as it sounds). In this heat, fruit can ferment and go south in just a matter of hours. It only takes about 15-20min from eating something nasty before the birds just stop breathing basicly. Had a friend lose a few birds to that problem in the heat.

I cant wait to get my new avairy set and done... sigh... costing me an arm and a leg... 10m x 4.25, double roofed, airlock, and water mist sprays for hot weather... gyah... but in the end, some of these birds can fetch several thousands of dollars... one bird saved = a fair chunk of the cost of the aviary itself.

EDIT: holy crap... 44.8 outside right this moment.
TD

Post by TD »

Mine seemed to cope ok, like others, doing my best to manage the situation. Sorry from me as well Julie, that is heartbreaking.
Adelaide nearly broke the record today, you still alive over there Fah? I guess another worry for some of us is bushfires, 2 fires have broken out in or near my suburb in the last few days.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Barely alive lol... we have currently broken the record for the hottest streak in over 70+ years.

The city hit 45.5 (we are a degree hotter here) and us approx 46.something

The record temp for the city is 46.1, achieved in 1939 lol, so its quite... freaking... warm.
julie

Post by julie »

Thanks guys and girls. I think it was the extra fruit and veg they got cause the others didn't get what they had. It was 42 here today.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

That is very sad news julie. :(

Hope all your others will be fine.

Always a worry when a bird dies for "no apparent" reason.

I had one of my fav aviary birds died on me last year. I had an autopsy done but no cause of death could be found. I had a reasonably thorough autopsy done to, cost $300, not sure what the standard is though.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Yeah. Sadly an autopsy doesnt show botulism unless you are able to get it done asap, hence its only zoo's etc who have reported cases of botulism with their vets on hand.

Within 10-15min the natural process of passing away covers any signs of botulism's damage.

Sometimes you can do the best of your efforts and still not avoid the problem.

I got particularly paranoid about it and I clear out the fruit and veg 2.5-3 hours after feeding it to them in summer times.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

My blue fella died in the winter. The vet said maybe down to stress over the cold and getting ready for the breeding season etc.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:( I'm feeling for all the birds doing it tough outside right now. Hoping they all get some relief and make it through the heat. Its horrible news to hear of all the deaths. Birds are so fragile. Poor lil souls.

Well the updated forcast is predicting 43 43 35 for the next 3 days, after yesterday being 43.

We get most of our weather from the Adelaide direction, so theyre record temps, mean.. record temps for us too.

Luckily, I got fed up yesterday, so I packed up the birds and we are staying at mums for a few days. But the birds cant come out of the cage here. Atleast theyre in an air conditioned room though! Jibbys been here before and my gosh, he gets so excited about car trips and coming to mums, I dont know whether his non stop chattering is because hes excited to be here or hes trying to comfort Lola whos never been here and is not a fan of car trips. He seems to want to get close to her and just chat to her. Its sweet, but poor Lola is terrified of the new surroundings. :( On the other hand, Jibby hasnt stopped chattering since we put him in the car. He even tried to get to the best spot in the car, so he can see out the front and 'talk' to all the cars. hehe. I held Lola on my lap in the lil transport cage, she just tried to get as close to me as she possibily could. Poor thing.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Monday was 43, Tuesday was 44, Wednesday was 45 today was 44 tomorrow is going to be 43-44 and Sat is going to be 42.

Nearly 7 full days of over 42 degree heat. This... is nothing short of remarkable. This is being recorded I think as the hottest week long period for the area.

Nights are around 30+ so its not as if there is any relief.

I guarantee you some of my aviaries that I evacuated, if I didnt remove them.. I would be putting to rest a fair few pairs right now.
TD

Post by TD »

Definitely remarkable Fah, I mean, I am 34 and I have never seen weather like this before. Its certainly something we will remember for a long time. Inside my house is 37deg at 11:30pm because our aircon has packed up! Getting evaporative cooling on Feb 9, but until then........

Birds are doing it tough too, but they will get through. They're coping better than I am!!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I think we usually get your weather a few days later than you guys Fah.....so thanks for the "heads up" on whats to come. :?

Gee TD, what a time for the air cons to stop working huh?
Hope you manage to stay cool-ish during this time.
julie

Post by julie »

The only ones that are loving this weather at my place are the reptiles, they think its great.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

lol We have had to turn off all heating and put a fan in the reptile room here to help keep the temps down. Was over 40 in their tanks the other day. Poor things.

We have 3 aircons going at once here but the house we are renting isn't very well insulated, and at times, it is cooler outside then in. :?

Doesn't feel like today is going to be any kinder either. :evil:
julie

Post by julie »

cool, what reptiles do you have pink?
We have ducted right through the house, but it still gets warm in the house.
TD

Post by TD »

Gee TD, what a time for the air cons to stop working huh?
Hope you manage to stay cool-ish during this time

Yeah, just bad luck PinkDevil, it had to happen before a record breaking week!! We'll be right, as long as pets and kids are fine, then I am happy. Its just an inconvenience, nothing more!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

julie wrote:cool, what reptiles do you have pink?

It is actualy Shane who owns the reptiles. He has Womas, Black Headed Python, Bredli, Port Macs, Olives, & Spotted Pythons, I think that is it from memory.
He used to have a lot more but has scaled down his collection and is going to concentrate on the higher end snakes. He still has a few here that is up for sale.

Always the way TD, things break down when you need it the most lol.

Looks like we are in for a "cool" one today.....only predicting 39°C here :roll: Might have to break out the heaters if the temps keep dropping like this!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: