Did I do the right thing?

Moderator: Mods

ElliottsMomma

Did I do the right thing?

Post by ElliottsMomma »

Elliott was doing well flying. He was even flying from his cage to the middle of the room, turning around in the air and flying back to his cage. He really seemed to enjoy having his freedom, but he was constantly flying into the windows. I started keeping the blinds down and he still flew into the closed blinds or the tv or the mirrors. So I went and had his wings clipped again. He seems upset now. He tried to fly and just kind of fluttered to the floor and then he just stood there for awhile looking around like "What the heck just happened?" He keeps trying to get going but just flutters around. I feel bad. I want him to be happy but I don't want him hurting himself.
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

from what i can gather form other posts i think it is a matter of wait it out give lots of attentin and treats :)
hang in their
julie

Post by julie »

I think you did the right thing. Indie and Mika are due to have their wings clipped again, I try to put it off but they are getting a bit dangerous and need doing again.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yep you did the right thing, especially if he was in danger.

My boys just get really onery and cheeky when they grow flight back. It becomes a game of "you can't catch me" and "I will come to you when I want", jordan even gets so cocky that he will nip and get nasty (bossy boots) so, after giving them a few weeks of freedom and fun, I take the opportunity, grab them and snip snip. Back to beautiful loving playful birds again.

They get use to it straight up now. First few times they were confused, but they get it now and they don't hold it against me. Jordy and Pickle actually seem closer to me afterwards.

In my opinion, pet birds are alot safer clipped darlin, he will adapt.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless