Please help! Alex had an accident... :(

Moderator: Mods

Hcloost

Please help! Alex had an accident... :(

Post by Hcloost »

My new baby alexandrine parrot, Alex has had her wings butchered by the pet store owners (or the breeder) before i had bought her. she has had a couple of hard falls off the cage since buying her about a month ago and seems to have recovered in between.

However, tonight she fell and now she is behaving as if she is in pain - not talking much, doesn't like to straighten up and just isn't her usual self.

a few days ago she had fallen and i think her beak made a shallow wound in her skin, but it hasn't re-opened after this latest accident. what bothers me is it is in the same area that she is now having trouble with.

Please help.... I'm really worried that she may have cracked her breast bone by the way she is touchy on the chest and how she doesn't like to straighten up. Alex does move around, but she isn't chirpy and she hasn't stretched her wings since she fell.

if anyone can help or offer advice i would appreciate it. I am hoping that she will recover on her own, but if she doesn't improve within the next few days i'll have to take her to the vet.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Ok.. rule number one... and this is a big rule in the bird world...

You cant delay problems.. if a bird is showing signs of sickness, lethargy, pain, you have already hit emergency point and there is generally no going back. If a bird is showing signs, you can have from just a few hours till it can pass away and onwards.

99.9% of the time birds dont get that bad and come out of it on their own. They are unique in this regard, their bones are made to be light, hence break easily. Their hardy in weather, but not hardy against illness.

Birds stress, and when in pain or hurt, that stress goes through the roof. Often birds die from stress before the actual injury kills them.

Vet Vet Vet... thats all I can say sorry. Take it out the door and get it looked at asap.

I think you would actually be doing some extreme damage and pain to your bird by waiting.....
Bella

Post by Bella »

Fah wrote:Ok.. rule number one... and this is a big rule in the bird world...

You cant delay problems.. if a bird is showing signs of sickness, lethargy, pain, you have already hit emergency point and there is generally no going back. If a bird is showing signs, you can have from just a few hours till it can pass away and onwards.

Birds stress, and when in pain or hurt, that stress goes through the roof. Often birds die from stress before the actual injury kills them.

Vet Vet Vet... thats all I can say sorry. Take it out the door and get it looked at asap.

I think you would actually be doing some extreme damage and pain to your bird by waiting.....

I agree 100% birds are good at hiding pain and illness so the fact that you have notice a definate change means you have to hurry
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Hcloost

Post by Hcloost »

thanks for the quick replies. Alex is behaving a bit more normally since i posted the original message. I've been watching her like a hawk, and she is drinking well, still likes her treats, and is chewing on one of her toys. she has no trouble stepping up. i love her very much and will take her to the vet first thing, if she has not improved beyond this point. i would take her to a vet right now if i could but there is none open near me.

i think i may have over reacted to the severity of the fall, but i would rather worry too much than too little.
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

i know about how the wonerful little bundles can hide thier pain - my little one had a shattered hip and i did not know until we took her to the vet (2 days later)- unfortunatley we had to leave her at the vets - i support the others opinion any sign of illness or injury staright to the vet.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Ditto here !! VET

Hope all is well, its always so hard with pets, not knowing exactly what is going on when things happen to them coz they can't tell you.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Hcloost

Post by Hcloost »

just an update for those who commented. I appreciate all of your quick responses and am pleased to tell everyone that Alex is just fine :)

we took Alex to the vet and they said she was fine after all, and that the flesh wound will heal nicely. By the next morning after her fall she was back to her old self but we took all the advise given and brought her in anyway.

Thanks again to everyone who commented, i love these forums for the very reason that there are so many people who know so much and are more than willing to give their advise.

I will post some pics of my new girl shortly :)
Fah

Post by Fah »

Look forward to seeing your little bub! Not alot of Adelaidians hehe, nice to see another one around here lol
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

So glad all is well, looking forward to seeing pics
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless