Average size and weight

Moderator: Mods

laine

Average size and weight

Post by laine »

Hi all and happy new year
Smokey is just over 3 years old now - sometime in November he turned 3 but I don't know the exact date. I bought him on 17th January and was told he was about 8 weeks old.
Anyway, does anyone know approximately how much he should weigh and how big/long he should measure. Compared to adult IRNs I have seen in pet stores, he seems small.
He is happy, healthy, cheeky, mischievious and playful. He flies round the house and with plenty of toys. He enjoys fresh fruit and veg everyday with seed. He loves apple, banana and grapes the most.
Thanks for your help.
Fah

Post by Fah »

http://www.avianweb.com/AverageBirdWeights.htm

Anything around the 110-120gram areas are fine for Adult birds.

Length: 40-42 cm is an average. Can vary up or down by a few cm without worry.

I think people stress a little too much about the weight levels... as weight can change between 10grams throughout the year quite regularly, based on breeding times, seasonal status... feed changes. You can also have two same sex birds from the same clutch be constantly 10 grams different... same feed, same aviary even... 10 grams is quite alot... nearly 10% of the birds total weight.

Indian Ringnecks vary in size, and this can be based on mostly the genetics of the bird. You will always have smaller ones, and larger ones.

I had an IRN male that was 18 inches (nearly 46cm).. quite extreme for an IRN. (proven pure bloodline, no alex).

An IRN will not reach its maximum size till about 2-2.5 years of age anyway... its not until their hormones stabalise etc that their true size is apparent.

Based on your birds age, smokey is as large as they will get.
inept

Post by inept »

Also keep in mind that Smokey is flighted whereas the birds at the pet shop probably aren't. A bird that flies can look subtly different from one that doesn't and might certainly have a different size/weight profile.
laine

Post by laine »

Thanks for your replies. I have been able to properly measure and weigh him. He is 116 grams and 40 cm head to tip of tail. From what you say, he is in the average size range. Is that right? Thanks
ezmoney

Weak Foot

Post by ezmoney »

I have a 8 year old IRN which is a very active part of the family on a daily basis. About a year ago he started exhibiting a lack of strength in his left foot. He sometimes walks with his toes curled up on one foot. I took him to the vet when I noticed the problem, who said his gonads were pushing on a nerve??? $500 for that info and blood tests. Sometimes it is not even noticeable as it seems to come and go throughout the day. He diet includes bird seed, lots of fruit, and food from our plates. He has a large cage. Sometimes you can hear him fall off his perch at night. He is small and weighs 4 ounces or 112 grams. His feathers are perfect, beak is bright red, and otherwise appears in good health. He is smart and has a vast vocabulary and interacts well. I would like to hear from anyone who knows anything that might help. Thank you
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

What was the vets advice on what to do about the issue ?
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

ezmoney

WEAK FOOT

Post by ezmoney »

The vet had no suggestions, only that he was at the age of maturity and that his gonads may have swelled to put pressure on a nerve. It has been a year and there has been no change. My email is corythoma@hotmail.com should you have any suggestions. thank you