Does your IRN like to be petted?

Moderator: Mods

Rami

Does your IRN like to be petted?

Post by Rami »

Hi everyone! I wrote that question just to know. Mine is 1 year and 2 months old. I have been with my bird for 10 months and he/she doesn't really like to be petted/touched. Only when he is with me in my room in my bed I can scratch his/her head. Do I have to continue doing this?

And

Does your bird like to be touched/petted? And if yes, did you have some problems to touch him before he let you touch him?

Goodbye! Thanks!
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I have found that when I am handraising the chicks, they love being petted, but once they have weaned all snuggliness seems to go out the window lol.

I do have 1 mature hen that I raised who likes being petted but only when she wants to be. My other girl that I have handraised and is still only a few months old still likes being petted but I am sure she to will change her loving ways lol

I noticed that with mine, the best time for cuddles is night time, forget it during the day. Too much to see and do lol :)
Rami

Post by Rami »

Ok, thanks for your answer!
Mine only accept scratches, like I said when he/she is in my stomach and I am in bed. But then... no. But I think that he /she does not enjoy being petted, because of the feathers.

Thanks for your story (in a way) :D and happy new year!
Dolphinheart

Post by Dolphinheart »

Ahh Pink i wont be telling hubby that -- he is so chuffed that little Kali is a snuggler -lol she is only a few months old -lol.

he was hoping we had finally a friendly bird that wants to be touched, cuddled and held and so forth -lol
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Sky likes it sometimes. Mostly right before bedtime, I give him his usual scritchies. He loves those. Sometimes, he'll snuggle under the covers, but only every now and again. He's about 8 months old (I think).
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I do think it all depends on, 1- the birds personality and 2- how much time is spent with the bird on a day to day basis.
But from all that I have read on Ringies and just with my short experience with my few handraised birds, they are not usually a cuddly bird like say a Galah or a Lorikeet for example. :)
Janet

affectionate birds

Post by Janet »

My birds can be quite affectionate. They will climb all over me, preen my face, give me parrot kisses, hide under my ponytail if upset about something, and press their beaks against my eyelids if my eyes are closed but they HATE being scratched or patted. Whenever I have tried, they either looked shocked or will growl (I love IRN growls!!).
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

My IRN likes scratches only about half of the time- I have had him with his eyes closed and his head touching my shoulder on several occasions. He does seem to love his neck being scratched when it suits him.

As for growling-I think he's growling in this video..would I be correct?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib25aZOh ... annel_page
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Jibby is a complete snugglebug, he loves being petted and kissed on the belly, head, feet, back... (but can be stubborn at times), still he ALWAYS gives in. LOL He knows he cannot fight the human love! hehe

Lola on the other hand, will not let me pet her. Ive tried, she just wont have it. She can be a sweet little girl (sometimes) and she gives me 'windows of opportunity', she loves to be close to me and preen me, usually when she steps up, I kiss her back, she doesnt seem to mind this, I just want to give her what I give Jibby, so I madly kiss her back to make up for not being able to pet or scratch her head. lol No hands allowed, other than the use of stepping up or for perching on! So I have not been able to pet her yet. I just kiss. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
laine

Post by laine »

Smokey loves to be petted. He loves a head to tail stroke at any time but when he is sleepy he loves his belly tickled and then he drops his head to be scratched at the back of his neck. All while this is happening he makes soft little cooing noises. He doesn't like to be petted if he is busy :lol: . Smokey also loves his beak rubbed. When he wants a snooze on my knee I know he wants it all - belly rub, neck scratch and beak rub - it's exhausting and time consuming when he decides he needs to be pampered :lol: :lol: :lol:
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

I'm the same as Lauren and Lola.

No touching my fid. The only contact is on the step-up and he prefers to step-up on the arm instead of the hand. He scratches his own head with a coconut shell though, and a loofah, and he sits with his foot on his face on a night slowly rubbing the feathers under his beak - making kissing noises and whispering hello to the foot. So cute!
jobo2mi

Post by jobo2mi »

My Nala likes to be petted too :D She will let me rub her back and under her wings ... she pins her eyes at me (little flirt :D ) and coos and makes those little purring noises ... I give her a 'hug' too, giving her a little squeeze around her whole body ... she just coos at me ... she is such a lover bird now, compared to the first six months I had her when all I got was bandaids and chunks taken out of me :shock:
Joanne

and the fids -
Parakeets - Emma (RIP Bonnie & Clyde)
Tiels - Rosie, Howie
QP - Isis
Sun Conure - Precious
IRN - Nala
Caique - Timber
and the cat - BK
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

jobo2mi wrote:she is such a lover bird now, compared to the first six months I had her when all I got was bandaids and chunks taken out of me :shock:

Sign of True Love :wink:
Lauren16

Post by Lauren16 »

So my baby isn't guna be snuggly forever? :'(
At the moment Bella cries for cuddles.. she loves kisses!
If she wants her head scratched she'll make it obvious & headbutt my hand with her head.. if i ignore it she quacks at me.. pmsl
BirdM4n

Post by BirdM4n »

My bird is only 2 and 1/2 month which is probly why he/she doesnt care if i rub his head beak or even under his wings
clear

Post by clear »

my babies are 6 months now i can do anything to them they love to kiss scratch cuddle all most anything except one of the 3 the grey one named egor all he/she will let you do is step up onto hand then he/she will walk up to shoulder and thats it if you try to do anything else he/will try to bite well not bite he/she will hold finger in its beak and hold tight till you move hand away he dont hurt well not to me anyway but wife says he does but then she is female and they are sooks sometimes
we try
Lags

Post by Lags »

mt little Jerry is 6 months old and he like a scratch on the head and belly - when it suits him! he's so funny, sometimes he'll pin his eyes and growl, but inly for a second. as soon as he realises how good it feels he stops growling!!! so funny!