Is this bluffing?

Moderator: Mods

greeny

Is this bluffing?

Post by greeny »

My female is nine months old. She is extra sweet and every morning I reach into her cage and pat her head and she is very happy. Today I reached in and...CHOMP - she bit me. Bad girl! She continued to be very cage dominating and I took her out with a stick. Once she was out she was ok, still a bit nippy but gentle enough.

Bluffing???
Fah

Post by Fah »

Well, you cant change / pay attention to it (regardless of bluffing or not) but I would say it is bluffing... can happen very randomly within their first year.

Unfortunately.. the only thing you can do to stop the behaviour is to ride it out.. and using sticks to pull the bird out is reinforcing this behaviour... effecitvely making it worse.

A birds cage is their domain, however they should not bite just because you put your hand in... that behaviour is from it being allowed to get away with it over the years... since your one has just started, dont let it win.

There is a good article on the bluffing stage on the main site here so might pay to read that a bit and if you cant / dont like the idea of that throw up some questions and see how we can go on it.