five toes

Moderator: Mods

alana8819

five toes

Post by alana8819 »

The baby i have decided to keep i noticed the other night has five toes on one foot, does anyone else have a bird with an extra toe?
it doesn't appear to work, just a little toe poking out the back of his foot should i be concerned?
Fah

Post by Fah »

I wouldnt be overly concerned, however you might want to get it lopped off by a vet. If it is not functional, its a dead weight on the foot, will only become annoying or possibly problematic with footing. You also dont know if it has feelings in it? If it cant really feel problems with it, that can lead to further issues where it just doesnt know something is wrong (pain, damage, infection) for you to see a reaction to help.

Things like this "can" happen as freak of nature kinda deals. However I would look to the blood of your birds, have your, or any of them ever been bred to same blood? Foot and wing problems are common signs in inbred birds, however if it doesnt happen again i would not worry about it... just nature at work.

If they have bred for you for many years now and this is the first incident... you have nothing to worry about.
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

Thanks Fah i will take him to a vet and see what they think. None of the family that i am aware of has been inbred all the other babies are fine and have been for the last few years so i think he is just special. Was looking at him using it today and he can move the toe but grips food and stuff with the normal foot, do you think he would have an internal deformities?
Fah

Post by Fah »

The odds of deformaties are very low to start.. and limb deformaties are rarely combined with others... however i wouldnt be able to rule it out. If all else seems healthy, and quick trip the vet says all A-OK then your set for some loving times with the bub!