feet dry scaley scaby and sometimes bleeding

Moderator: Mods

Marlin

feet dry scaley scaby and sometimes bleeding

Post by Marlin »

My IRN , last year we noticed on one of her legs with some blood on it,
we took her to the vet, she said wash with salty water then apply a cream she gave us "dermaclenes

we did this and after a long time it all went away
but each time a new scab was formed she would bight it off and start the bleeding again. problem eventually went away

but again around the same time this year just before summer her legs were getting very dry and scaley, then she kept picking at them and now both legs have red scabs on them, not bleeding yet, the salty water and creme this time is not working.
the salt and cream makes her pick and bight the sores making it worse

any suggestions for treatment?
and does anyone know why it is happening and how to prevent this
some messages said to use aloe,.

interms of diet, she eats plenty fruit and some vegies each day, she could do with more vegies i think, and only the best mixes with pellets, dried fruits with minimal sun flower seeds.
thanks would appreciate any ideas
Fah

Post by Fah »

I would highly suggest a different vets opinion, they did the right thing, but did they do a scraping of the leg tissue? Or examine the leg under a microscope / high powered magnifying glass? As there could be mites causing the scabs, which irriate the bird.

If it is seasonal (ie, around a certain part of the year regularly) like you said, what season? Does the bird go out more at that time of year? Is it warmer at that time? Any notable changes is what im trying to work out thats all.

Something that "comes back" is not good, especially in the manner you are describing, it can either be something living inside your bird and this is its "cycle" you get it under control, it goes away for a while, and either starts again from inside, or re-infects from around the environment.

It could be something different you do at that time of the year, or an allergic reaction to something that is around that time of the year etc..
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

would a cone around the neck help in situations like this? If the bird is continuously picking scabs and making it bleed would it not help? I agree with Fah, if something keeps coming back then it isnt something to ignore.
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

thanks will try another vet,
also is just as it warms up in spring just before summer each year.

sprayed for lice regularly
the first vet suggested rats, but we have no rats or mice,
3 cats make sure of that
and cage is kept very clean.

will try vet a new vet maybe an avian vet if i can find one in sydney
will let you know

how we go