Still not talking

Moderator: Mods

mlk1825

Still not talking

Post by mlk1825 »

I posted about a month ago about my new addition...Pepe the blue indian ringneck. He/she is still not talking or being vocal at all...it is very strange. The only time i can get him to make some noise is by holding him in front of the mirror and saying "attack!" which is probably not the best thing to do :lol:

He just "clicks" kind of.... :? And he screams at the other birds once and a while if they get too close to him...that's about it. Maybe he just needs more time...he seems pretty trusting now though....let's me pet him and play with him. Maybe I have a strange new silent breed...hehehe :lol:
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

I'm new to IRNs, but I've noticed the same thing about Sky when I brought him home. I'm sure your little guy will start making noise. Give him some toys with bells or something? My Sky loves noise makers. He usually makes noise at them too. Sky also likes the sound of running water and rustling plastic. When I'm cleaning the kitchen, he sits on my shoulder and makes all these little cute sounds. I've only had him for about 3 months. He's still fairly quiet. How old is your guy? It seems to me that young birds are kinda quiet.
mlk1825

Post by mlk1825 »

The pet store said he was 5mos old....if that makes any difference. I recieved my conures that young and they were always noisy.. :lol:

so, I now automatically assume that all birds are.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Do you repeat things over and over to him, do you talk so much to him you are sick of your own voice... if not .. then you are not talking enough to him... lol .. be very vocal with him, the same commands and same things over and over and over and over .. then by the time you are sick of hearing yourself say them you have to listen to the clever little fid that now says them over and over again for the rest of its years... lmao .. don't be in a hurry .. he will pick things up. Pickle was silent for well over a year, now I can't shut him up and when both of my boys get going and the breeders outside (now have picked up the words from the pet boys) get going its hilarious and sometimes very annoying ..

:D but deep down we love it and visitors think its fantastic.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

ryelle

Post by ryelle »

my fid now says "ello ello eellllooooo" but its taken a year to teach him. he also whistles "toy" when hes playing with something and does a wolf whistle. we found he was really quite for quite a while after we got him, but after a while he started making quite a bit of noise if the radio was on loud or the hoover or we left the room. now.. jeez hes rarely quiet lol, even when hes trying to sleep haha
ElliottsMomma

Post by ElliottsMomma »

Petsmart sells this programable motion sensor mirror that allows you to record whatever you want and it really helped Elliott learn to talk. Just keep talking to him and concentrate on one ord or a phrase for a long period of time. GL!
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I got my IRN when she was over a year old, she didnt talk either,

nealry at 2 years old she started and hasnt stopped, because she was older i think it has limited her vocabulary to around 8 items plus somewhistles, plus alot of other wild bird calls she hears.

but some tips are to
record about 3 words to start with make a cd, make sure you say the words in random order with big pauses, also use different tone and different people to record the same phrase.
make a cd repeating the word sometimes and randomly picking which word with different tones each time.
Of all my friends with irn the two first clear noises they made were the wolf whistle and the come here whistle ( hope you know what i mean)

play the cd to them fr about 30 minutes 3 times per day,
the most productive time is sunrise, then followed by sunset. night time is no good.

have tried this on three of my friends birds and working fine.
have to repeat things,
my friends irn impersonates his ring tone perfectly, and at times he answers his phone when its really his bird.

your irn should start doing mouth excersizes like stretching his mouth with no sounds coming out, once you see this then in one week he should start talking.
i have heard of some birds taking 3 years to talk then they speak all at once, but this is rare.
i think you will be fine since he is making some kind of sounds already.
5 months is good time to start now training him

hope it helps

let us know how you go