why is he doing this?

Moderator: Mods

PuffnFresh

why is he doing this?

Post by PuffnFresh »

ok for about a week now my ringneck has been biting my hands etc. however he started to do this for no apperant reason.

could this be because he is molting?? he is approx 12 months old or is it mating season? becuase he isnt sexually mature i didnt think he would be affected
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

it might be bluffing. has he already had a nippy phase? from what I remember, bluffing is generally between 8 months to a year old. If I'm wrong.. anyone please correct me! :D
PuffnFresh

Post by PuffnFresh »

oh really.. but he will still sit on my shoulder and kiss me and i can put my face up to him..
Donna

Post by Donna »

This is a really bad time for you to be letting him on your shoulder and around your face. This phase he is going though is a very unpredictable phase and he could latch on to your eyes ,ears, or lips at any given moment. Be safe not sorry :wink:

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
PuffnFresh

Post by PuffnFresh »

really because he doesnt seem to mind it all, he likes it when i do it.

so will he just get over this period??
Fah

Post by Fah »

Read up on this if you have not done so already.

http://www.indianringneck.com/bluffing/

During mating season, you can expect very similar results to bluffing, their attitude variations during the breeding season will drop gradually as the years go past... now days my pet boy only flirts more in breeding season, never any problems with him and attitude.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yep it is the silly season in Aus. breeding season and molting is big on the agenda. Even at young ages fids will act up and have moody periods. Jordan is having a really naughty period also, moreso than the other fids, he is acting like a naughty little teenager, short tempered, cheeky and trying to boss me around. They settle down after a while its just the season.

Just stay the boss and don't let him get away with it. Be firm and consistent with discipline, actionable and verbal.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

PuffnFresh

Post by PuffnFresh »

thanks for that!! how long does this period go on for?
Fah

Post by Fah »

"Keep in mind that this stage can last several days or weeks. Some get a severe case and it may last a few months."

Direct quote from the link i gave you.

In regards to breeding season... several months. Hormones generally settle down a month after young are fledged. Around Christmas time for most.