sore wing - he's not happy

Moderator: Mods

laine

sore wing - he's not happy

Post by laine »

Smokey has been molting alot - feathers everywhere. He has always had his wings clipped but this year I have decided to let them grow. He doesn't fly away from me, in fact he flies to me when I leave the room we are in - it's really gorgeous and this has been the reason I am not going to get him clipped just yet, I will wait and see. Anyway, I did post last week about Smokey's change in behaviour. He stopped following me and retreated more to his cage. Over the weekend he started making these loud screeching noises quite out of character. He is biting at his left wing all the time and if he is on my hand he stamps his left foot and wiggles his body around. If this doesn't relieve his discomfort he flies furiously around the house. He will let me scratch is belly & neck and pat his beak but he won't let me stroke his back anymore, particularly anywhere near the left wing. Tonight he has been pulling out what looks like the end shaft of a feather but it has black sticky stuff on the end of it. It is only about 2cm long. Is this the old, clipped feather or is it the beginning of the new feather? I don't know what to do with him. Everything else is normal for him - eating habits, playing,chatting. Can the growth of new feathers be painful for them. He will 3 years old in November. Any ideas or should I get him checked out by a vet?
julie

Post by julie »

He hasn't managed to get something stuck to his wing has he?
It sounds like the sticky stuff may have been what is causing him discomfort maybe.
laine

Post by laine »

I don't think he has got anything stuck, however, since he pulled out this little end bit of a feather he seems to have settled a little bit. The area of the wing is still slightly tender but this morning he let me pat him there and didn't get too stressed about it. He has stopped screeching out and flapping furiously. Like a wobbly tooth, can a feather have trouble falling out? I am now wondering if he broke off a loose feather and the end was left stuck in his wing? Would this be possible?