Moving

Moderator: Mods

SDAnimalKing

Moving

Post by SDAnimalKing »

Ok so me and my family are moving from san diego to the east coast. I would like to know the safest and most stress free way to transport Misfit over there... We will be driving back... our local bird store said our bird carrier should work fine... but thats a long long time for him to be in such a small space. Suggestions?
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

You could try a shower-perch. The ones with suction cups and stick it to your window. Only put him away when you or him are eating. don't make my mistake and attempt to travel with a couple of dishes for food and water. I kept apple with me, as it's got a fair bit of liquid and is filling for them. My Sky loves it. I stuck him back in his cage and flipped out my pocket knife (gotta love those things) and cut some apple (just make sure you wash it somewhere first). To keep the uneaten parts fresh, bring along a cooler packed with those fake ice packs (less mess). To give him water (I'm sure you and your folks will be stopping for potty breaks here and there) whenever you pull over, give him water. I normally just pour a tiny bit in the water bottle cap. Make sure you get Misfit used to it before you're on the road. Speaking of water, don't give him the tap from wherever you happen to be. Birdie systems are sensitive ya know. If he's fairly used to bottled water, get the same brand he's used to whenever you stop and give him that. Sky gets aquafinas even when at home. He seems to like it more.

Are you guys planning on stopping at motels at night or driving straight through? Most cheaper motels like Motel 6, Super 8, La Quinta, etc don't have issues with small pets. The few times I've traveled over night with the birds I had at the time was easy.. I didn't even tell the motel and they never noticed. We got there late at night and left early in the morning.

Have a birdie bag packed ahead of time. A towel, Kwik-Stop, some treats, cleaning stuff. I fill a small bottle (used to be a cough syrup bottle and I simply scrubbed it out with boiling water) with cleaning solution. Don't use it in his carrier unless it has time to dry and aerate. When you get to your destination, clean it. But not on the way to it.

As for making sure he's got some space, if his wings are clipped (preferrably with some kind of harness) take him out and let him burn off some energy during potty breaks. Just get him to flap his wings a bit. Sky seems to enjoy sitting on his perch or sitting on the head rest over my head. He loves looking around. Your bird might enjoy seeing new stuff, too. If it scares him and he starts getting antsy and anxious, put him back in his cage and cover it slightly. That much depends on the bird.

Good luck! Let us know how it all goes. Sorry for the uber long post!!
ElliottsMomma

Post by ElliottsMomma »

What kind of carrier do you have? They have the avian adventure hotel thing that is cute and looks like it would be a little more spacious than a regular carrier. Where on the east coast are you moving to??
Donna

Post by Donna »

First off you want to make sure the state your moving to ringnecks are leagal. There are some states that ringnecks are illeagal to bring into. You want to have the proper papers with you to take him accross state lines and the vet will give you them.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
SDAnimalKing

Post by SDAnimalKing »

How do I find out what states they are illegal in?
Donna

Post by Donna »

http://www.boaf.com/article_moving.htm

This site may help you

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both