Help Needed bout my IRN age sex...

Moderator: Mods

munir

Help Needed bout my IRN age sex...

Post by munir »

Hi everyone im new to here and have a few questions about my IRN that I bought a month ago

1) don't know if he is a he or he is a she? the guy told me male
2) how old he/she is? the guy told me 6 months
3) what type of IRN he is coz his tail is unique to me never seen before and her wings are yellowesh

below are the image links

thanks alot cheers :roll:

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo19 ... age063.jpg
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo19 ... age066.jpg
julie

Post by julie »

Unless you know what mutations the parents are its too early to tell the sex.
as for color check out this thread, not sure if its a cinamon or pallid
http://www.indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2070&highlight=lime
julie

Post by julie »

by the way welcome to the board , your birdie is very pretty :D :shock:
Fah

Post by Fah »

Heya there,

I would place money on it being a Dilute Green. Its impossible to tell whether it is male or female without DNA sexing oor until it is around 2yo.

From the look of it I would have to agree that it is under 1 year old, anything from 4-5 months through to nearly a year of age.. so its safe to say they are being honest.

The colouring is a perfect example of Dilute where the flights are the similar if not almost exact same colour as the rest of the wing, and that they are yellowish compared to the lime body.

In regards to the tail.. I honestly have never seen an IRN with that natural structure before. Without knowing what birds it may have been bred to (hybrid) or if this phenomenon is present in the parents I cant really comment on that.

If you can get a rear shot of the tail it would be very good to see if it was bent physically or by the bird itself. I have seen birds tails preened to the point where they bend smoothly to one side just like yours, however not in both directions.

Cheers for sharing :D
julie

Post by julie »

I didn't notice the tail at first, it is kinda weird isn't it.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Yeah. I have seen young birds preen their tails exactly the same as this, just to one side through excessive preening.

You can tell its not a natural progession of the feathers (ie; true mutation) as the feathers break partially in the turn (not the stem, but the soft bristles that fan out). If this was a true natural mutation in the IRN breed, as with other lines of purity, the feather would generally compensate for the turn and not have tatty (unkept) sides on the inner turn.

This is not to say that it is a genetic twist that may or may not stay with the bird... or done by the breeders for appeal. Its just a guess from the very limited info on the bird.

I would also be very hesitant to suggest nutrition having anything to do with it, as the bird appears in good health in every other regard. So I would rule that out right away. (nutritional need meaning the feathers are softer than normal, and flex easy to preening) This is also flawed as the other feathers are fine, and it is far too uniform to suggest defficiency.
julie

Post by julie »

It does look like it has grown like that.Is it just me or do they look like extra feathers ?
munir

Post by munir »

Hello again,

thank you so much for all the replies I really appreciate that.
well from where I bought the bird the guy had two birds the same size and looked exactly the same as far as the tail is concerned, I havent done it myself and it was my first time aswell to see an IRN with a tail like this, weird innit.

by the way guys Im from Afghanistan and I see most of you guys are from NZ and OZ, we have some troops here in Afghanistan from NZ and OZ.

I took some rear pics of the bird for you guys to have a proper look.
Havent named the bird yet still thinking any suggetions are welcomed.
julie

Post by julie »

Wow it sure is pretty 8) looks like a little Ozzie supporter with the coloring. How does he/she go flying with the feathers like that?
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

wow! that is one interestingly coloured bird lol. very pretty!

I'm just wondering, after what Fah suggested, that maybe it was one of the other birds that has over-preened the tail? its bizarre that it isnt symmetrical, theres still some that are straight, and that a full cage of birds were exactly the same. Did the other two birds in the cage come from the same brood as the one you have?
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Never seen that before .. very unusual bird colourwise and shape of tail feathers. Will be very interested to see what happens after the next full molt.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

munir

Post by munir »

hi guys,

well im excited about my birds molt, i will post some pics after the molt...
well the guy had two birds in cage including mine and they looked exactly the same except mine had a bigger head... :P

to me they looked of the same brood, i have paid some deposit to a guy who will get me an african grey from tajikistan since we dont have any greys here in afghanistan...

my bird has started mumbling when i say words which i repeat to him/her every day he/she repeats them in a similar tone...

i will post pics of my grey when i get it

cheers
Donna

Post by Donna »

Very pretty bird and unusual tail feathers. I would suggest a larger cage.

Donna :D
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both