Molting?

Moderator: Mods

SDAnimalKing

Molting?

Post by SDAnimalKing »

How can you tell if your bird is molting... I'm not sure if he is but his feathers on his head are thinning out and its doing it in other places too... his back... and butt...
SDAnimalKing

Post by SDAnimalKing »

I could really use some help here... he is really loosing feathers quickly...
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Can you see if any new pin feathers are coming through replacing the feathers being lost?
SDAnimalKing

Post by SDAnimalKing »

no, I dont really see any... he doesn't seem stressed and I dont see him plucking... he's extremely active and playful... He's been a little more biteful lately but he's still only 5 months old and trying to do the whole bluffing thing...
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Here is a moulting link that may help you, and here

Hope of some help.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Don't quote me on this, but I was told that Ringnecks molt once at 4-6 months old. Then a really huge molt at a year old. Apparently it's something like twice a year for the first 2 years of life. Then once a year after that.
SDAnimalKing

Post by SDAnimalKing »

well I can't see any new growth on his chest or head, where it seems to be getting worse... but I do see like 4 new tail feathers that are growing pretty quick and are looking good.
Fah

Post by Fah »

If you can get a pic that would be awsome.

I have never had an IRN moult before the first year (but im in Australia... different natural cycle maybe).
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Strange moods, scratching and preening alot, **** load of feathers everywhere and annoying sharp pins coming in (hence the strange often bad moods) .. that sums up molting.. lol.

You would prolly notice if he was plucking, bald red spaces appearing, bitten and bad edges of feathers etc. It will become very apparent. Molting may show signs of patches but they will quickly cover over with new pins and feathers.

If you suspect molting, make sure you bath or spray your baby regularly as this helps to soften the pins and helps the new feathers to break through easier, also eases their itchyness at this time. Boost the greens a little too at this time, some brocolli and a few more beans etc .
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless