Sharp nails

Post by IndianRingneckBoy »

When koi perches on me his nails very badly hurt's me,
is it ment to hurt?
IRN - Koi
Cats - Ozzy,Marely,Chester
julie

Post by julie »

the nails can be clipped, be carefull not to cut them too short and have something available (kwik stop, flour ) at the time to stop any bleeding .
jobo2mi

Post by jobo2mi »

Nala's nails were getting way too long and I ended up clipping them. I clipped one too short :( and poor baby was bleeding! I had flour all ready just in case of this scenario and it did stop it. Flour works!

I felt so bad :cry: I didn't mean to clip it so short ... happens sometimes when they are wiggling around ... and I apologized so many times to her! :cry: She was mad for a little while, but she got over it. I still feel bad and dread having to ever do it again, but if she won't/can't keep her nails dulled down so she doesn't catch them on everything, I will have to do it again eventually. Hope she won't hate me for life :(
Joanne

and the fids -
Parakeets - Emma (RIP Bonnie & Clyde)
Tiels - Rosie, Howie
QP - Isis
Sun Conure - Precious
IRN - Nala
Caique - Timber
and the cat - BK
ElliottsMomma

Post by ElliottsMomma »

I take Elliott to the vet to have his nails clipped. I am just not comfortable doing it myself. They also say that the sand perches help to keep them trimmed. I have tons in Elliott's cage but he prefers the rope perches so he doesn't use the others that often.
nil

Post by nil »

it is very useful to have one sandy perche in his cage, this perch help to keep his nail trimmed
here you can find it http://www.24parrot.com/src/XMAS07/sess ... es-P4349a/
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

I clipp my birds nails all the time the more you do it the better you get at it and your bird will also get used to you doing it and won't wigge as much My Conures are so used to it now they just lay in my hand with their feet up and let me do it. they sprea their little toes and everything for me. Luna is 10 yrs old and she is just so easy to clip her nails Sprout will be 2yrs in Dec and he doesn't like it but will stay still now after I have him laying on my hand. Raja is only 6 months old and I've done his nails once but they have to be done again. I'm not looking forward to doing his but It does have to be done. He will learn to get used to it eventually I just don't know how long it will take him