Our bird flew out of house. What can we do?

Moderator: Mods

tyandsheena

Our bird flew out of house. What can we do?

Post by tyandsheena »

We love and adore our IRN, Sunny. Yesterday my wife had her on her finger and opened the front door to ask me something in the yard and Sunny got spooked or something and flew out the door. We were able to keep visual contact on her most of the day. We tried various means to get her, and failed at them all. Near the end of the day we had a tree-maintenance worker climb up to attempt to retrieve her (she was in a tree about 60 feet (about 20 meters) up) and she flew away from him and into another tree. I saw what tree she ended up in (and could hear her making some of her calls or sounds), but could not spot her before it got dark.

Now what can we do get her back? My wife and I are both heartbroken right now. I am planning on waking up before sunrise tomorrow to try to spot where she is in the tree before she moves tomorrow morning, but then what? She has never been outside before. I just hauled her cage up on top of my roof and sat it on the swamp cooler up there. It is supposed to get to about 55 degrees F tonight. Is that going to be a problem?

What can we do help her get home? We have owned her for about 7 years and love her company. She is the cutest bird ever. She can be seen dancing in a youtube video of her from a few years ago- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dobo3LSAHA

Please help us in whatever way you can.
We love our bird
Fah

Post by Fah »

Food, and familiarity. Get her favourite treats you can muster and make some noise around the tree nice and early.

Morning = hungry, and nothing beats hunger than food that it loves.

Sounds silly, but even though a bird might really want to come down, it is often terrified to do so. Food in many cases seems to be one of the few things that makes a bird forget its fear.

Other than that I am really sorry for this situation and can only hope the very best of luck in getting your friend back.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Move her cage outside and fill it with her favorite treats. Most tame birds that escape don't go far. If you have another IRN, move him or her outside (in cage of course) and park that bird's cage right next to hers. She may want to fly down to you, but she doesn't know how. For some reason, learning to fly down is hard for a bird to do. Don't lose hope. I don't think 55 degrees will be too big of a problem, especially if she manages to find some sort of shelter. She'll stay close by. I hope youl find her!
tyandsheena

She has been found

Post by tyandsheena »

We were able to find her. She ended up about a mile away, and it took 27 hours, but we were able to bring her home. She would fly to a tree, then we would try coax her down. In doing so, we would end up spooking her or something and she would fly away. We walk to wards where she went and whistle and eventually she would respond (several times she was over a quarter mile away). We would repeat the process, and go again. Eventually we went and got her cage and her toys and after it was all said and done she ended flying to our hand.

So we are overjoyed and pleased to have her back.
We love our bird
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

great to have gotten her back!
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

That's awesome! You must be so relieved!
Fah

Post by Fah »

Thats great news indeed, very happy to hear it ended well (regardless of the effort heh).
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

You must have been just devestated I couldn't imagine losing any one of my fids it would be like losing a child. I;mso glad that you got her back and I hope the amount of time out in the wild didn't effect her to much. It sounds to me like shed had enough of being out there with nothing to eat and wild bird chasing her every time she tried to make friends. She probubly said to herself theres my fock down there and they love me i'm going home. this vacation is over. I'm so happy she is safe and sound back where she belongs. you may want to concider clipping her wings for a while just to ensure nothing like this happens again. I love a happy ending
Razsringnecks

Post by Razsringnecks »

WOW........ :shock:

So happy she/he is safe and sound back with her/his family.
I watched your sunny dancing....it was great.... :P I think you have a he...not a she. :roll: :P