New to this World.. Some Help?

Moderator: Mods

Blake

New to this World.. Some Help?

Post by Blake »

Hello! I am Blake, I currently have 2 untame lovebirds (working on it) and I am planning on getting an indian ringneck! I have done so much research on them and birds in general. I love their personality, their colors, just everything about them, really. I love them so much! I plan to bring one home in a few days from a breeder near me, she breeds, buys, and sells all sorts of birds. She says they are not tame but handfed. I just wanted some help on what to do when my baby girl/boy is home, I know not to stress it out too much, and generally what to do, I just want to go over all the basics. Though I have been researching for months I am scared I don’t know enough! Just Leave in the comments some general things to know, learn, find out, teach, and do please! Thank you for reading. (edit: I forgot to mention that I am eyeing one (under a year old is all I know), and the other 2 are 8 months, so I need to know what to do at that general age :D )

(another edit: what kind of toys do your irns like? What should I get?)

(wow I seem to edit this a lot: Name suggestions, plan on getting an albino)
-Blake
sanjays mummi

Re: New to this World.. Some Help?

Post by sanjays mummi »

Stick to a uni sex name, because you can never be 100% about gender until they are over 18 months. It doesn't matter what name you give, unlike dogs, you're not going to be calling it in for dinner. So you can be as inventive as you wish.
I recently discovered my bird has a penchant for chewing electrical flexes, a recent habit, nobody warned me about, they are great chewers, don't go mad buying expensive toys, toys don't last!, but safe wooden toys, toys they can unravel or shred, paper rolls, just remember safe and chewable and you won't go far wrong.
Go for a varied diet, made up mainly of fresh fruit and veg, nuts, and healthy seeds, they forage, boring through a passion fruit, chilli pepper, or sweet chestnut is their idea of heaven. Don't expect a pet which will always show affection parrots are fickle, allow you to kiss and tickle them one minute, try and bite chunks out of you the next, it's just how they are. Best of luck.
Blake

Post by Blake »

I got some straws, finger traps, and some cat ball toys (safe and chewable), I think I know most everything I should, what should I train her after I obviously gain her trust and teach her to step up? (of course after she is comfortable with me, which will be a while after I get her, I know)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Apart from talking, I don't believe in training birds to do tricks, sorry.
Blake

Post by Blake »

Oh.. that’s completely fine, thanks for the help!