Parasites - Toxoplasmosis

Moderator: Mods

robin.s

Parasites - Toxoplasmosis

Post by robin.s »

during my mothers pregnancy with me she got toxoplasmosis from an unknown source. i have scaring on my retinas and i am legally blind from it. i know birds, rodents and cats can carry it. but is this anything to be worried about in a captive bred bird?
last thing i need to do is get it again. i would like to keep what little vision i have heheh
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

I don't know much about parasites and stuff I have 7 birds and I have never ever had a problem with anything like that nor do I know anybody else that has.
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

here is more info on it from the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/toxoplasmosis/epi.html#animal
Jim

Post by Jim »

We actually asked the obstetrician about this the last time my wife was pregnant. Cats are evidently the only animals who shed the toxoplasmosis in their feces. Birds can catch it but they don't transmit it.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

ok so i assume birds and rodents are carries while cats are the only ones that can shed the Toxoplasma in their feces. thats good to know!
i have five cats and my husband cleans the litter pans, even though all of our cats are indoor cats. i am a bit paranoid about the toxoplasmosis thing hehe
Thanks Jim (:
nil

Post by nil »

We actually asked the obstetrician about this the last time my wife was pregnant. Cats are evidently the only animals who shed the toxoplasmosis in their feces. Birds can catch it but they don't transmit it.

i know the same as jim says.
also my wife was recently pregnant and the doctor affraid us but the vet was clear that only cats may transmit this.
toxoplasma find in cats feces, especially 2 days after
i have five cats and my husband cleans the litter pans, even though all of our cats are indoor cats. i am a bit paranoid about the toxoplasmosis thing hehe

there is a pill for cats, if you give it to cats each year, you are safe for toxoplasma
robin.s

Post by robin.s »

thanks! i did not know there was a pill. when we are at the vet next i will inquire about it. my cats are pretty established the oldest being 16 and the youngest being 9.