introducing a new ring neck?

Moderator: Mods

marley08

introducing a new ring neck?

Post by marley08 »

i've been thinking of getting another ringneck to be a friend for my 3 year old female, i have few question's,

1. can i house them in the same cage?
2. what would be best, male or female?
3. young one or older one?
lastly, my female is very vocal, would another ringneck mimic her or would it be more likley to calm her down.

thanks
nil

Post by nil »

hi marley
i suggest a male one , 2 years old or older.
For the first 2 or 3 months you must quarantine the new bird and then put him in the same cage if it is enough large for 2 birds.
Fah

Post by Fah »

Heya Marley,

I would also suggest a male. Two hens from friends experience just dont work out that great especially during that time of the year :P

However, unless you are looking to breed sooner rather than later... i would not get an older bird.

If your girl is tame, then deffinately start with a young bird, an older untame bird will almost ruin any training you may have started on your girl.

If it is untame and just an aviary bird, it doesnt really matter what age you get it, though admitedly... younger the better, so you dont get two older arrogant birds claiming stake...

When getting new birds into the mix, and from reliable sources (ie, proven health etc) all you need to do is house them in cages next to each other until such a time that they start going on with their daily routines and paying only moderate attention to one another. If the birds are destined NOT to get along, it will be quite evident before you even introduce them into the same cage... ie attacking the cage sides.

If all seems well, introduce them together in an area that lets one escape well and truely from the other (ie... space to fly around and get the hell away from an attack)

Supervise this at all times on first introduction, and honestly, dont let them spend the first night together... unless things seem to be going swimingly.

If they seem a little testy, take one out, then do the same thing the next morning... and throw in some incentive to get along... treats and food is generally a good one.

Other than that all i can suggest is a close eye, and it wont take long for all this to happen with two happy birds... hence why I always suggest trying to get a younger one... the current bird will find it easier to be more dominant that way.

good luck and hope to hear on this soon :D