Oi.. help!! Please?

Moderator: Mods

SkyBaby

Oi.. help!! Please?

Post by SkyBaby »

Should I bring Sky with me in a travel cage and take a small portable gym along or should I leave him at home alone or pay for a bird sitter who is too busy to hold him? This woman is the only person in town who i trust Sky with.

I applied for a job with the state of CA to work at a local state prison as an office tech (aka clerk). The exam is at the beginning of next month, in sacramento. Sacramento is 8 hours away and that's one way. We'd have to spend one day driving, take the test the next day, then drive back the day after the test. So what do you guys think i should do? take him with me, or leave him here with food and water, or leave him with an already stressed bird sitter?

the exam for sure wont take all day. It probably wont even take all morning. A few hours, tops.

Is it true that Ringnecks go "wild" faster than other birds?

Thanks in advance!
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

i think it takes something like a week of no human contact what so ever to make a IRN go totally wild. You should think about stress levels for him to decide whats going to be best. Will sitting in a car for 8 hours in a travel cage be too much for him to handle? also im not sure where you live so would temperature be a problem? too hot or too cold in the car?

i wouldnt just leave him with food and water. hell need both changing every day. maybe a bird sitter will be a good idea. youll have to outweigh the pros and cons to decide what to do i think
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

ryelle wrote:i think it takes something like a week of no human contact what so ever to make a IRN go totally wild. You should think about stress levels for him to decide whats going to be best. Will sitting in a car for 8 hours in a travel cage be too much for him to handle? also im not sure where you live so would temperature be a problem? too hot or too cold in the car?

i wouldnt just leave him with food and water. hell need both changing every day. maybe a bird sitter will be a good idea. youll have to outweigh the pros and cons to decide what to do i think

He's ridden in a car for 2 hours, when i took him home. When I first bought him, he was staying with my mom's neighbor because my mom wouldn't let me keep him at her house. I got married last month and moved 2.5 hours away. He's ridden in the car quite a few times. He doesn't seem really scared by it. He's not panicking anyways. He just kinda sits there and looks around. I've offered him some sliced apple as some food and moisture and a bit of water from a bottle water cap when we stop for gas. We'll be stopping quite a lot, as our only car is a gas-guzzling V8 mustang. Whenever we stop, I let him out. My husband wont let me keep him just on a perch in front of me. Sky's wings are clipped, so I'm not worried about it.

I do notice a difference when I leave him alone for even a day or two. He just acts a little more nervous and stuff. I dunno.. just thinking out loud here. My husband doesn't want me to take him just because while I'm taking that test, he'll have to watch the bird. I do all the bird-related cleaning anyways.

Sorry for babbling ignore me. :D
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

If your bird is used to the car and doesn't mind it I would take him does your husband hate your bird or what idon;t see what so hard about being abird sitter for a cou'ple hours while your taking a test its not like he will have todo anything the birds in a cage. Iwould take the bird other wise you may be so worried about him you won't be able to consentrate on you test and might fail it
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Raja's_mom wrote:If your bird is used to the car and doesn't mind it I would take him does your husband hate your bird or what idon;t see what so hard about being abird sitter for a cou'ple hours while your taking a test its not like he will have todo anything the birds in a cage. Iwould take the bird other wise you may be so worried about him you won't be able to consentrate on you test and might fail it

That's exactly what i'm worried about LOL :D My husband likes Sky. He just doesn't like traveling with animals. I think also, Sky's travel carrier is too small. He can't really stretch. It's more designed for rats and things. It was cheap and bigger than those little cardboard boxes petstores give you when you by a pet. I need to get something with an actual perch in it and that's designed for birds. That's another thing, I work at a pet store and my boss is going to let me borrow one of her travel cages, so I don't have to buy one.

I did all the work last time we took Sky in the car with us. :D