Sky doesn't like bathing.. can i change that?

Moderator: Mods

SkyBaby

Sky doesn't like bathing.. can i change that?

Post by SkyBaby »

Sky doesn't like water, except to drink. He doesn't freak when i spray him (it's summer here so it's hot) but i know he doesn't much care for it. I take him in the shower with me once a week. I spray him throughout the rest of the week. How do i get him to like water and bathing? I have a shallow dish and i put some fresh spinach i just soaked in it. He ate the spinach quick, but didn't care for the water left over at the bottom of the dish. Do I just leave a dish available and will he eventually get curious and try it? He's drank from the dish before. When he accidentally steps in it, he runs out quick.
julie

Post by julie »

Put fresh water in and then turn a vacuum cleaner on, for some weird reason vacuuming makes them want to bathe.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

ahahaha Julie is so right!! i re-fill Spits water bowl and then i vacuum and you can rely on him having a bath.

ive taken Spit into the shower with me a few times but he preferred standing on the shower rail repeating "whatcha doin?" instead of actually having a shower. he HATES spray bottles with a passion. to give him a full shower i remove all the toys from his cage and take the top of the cage with Spit in it (leaving the plastic bottom) and i put it in the bath tub. i place the showerhead so the waters only half covering the cage incase he wants to get out of it. at first he wasnt so sure but if u sit next to the bath and talk to him he slides along the bars with his wings spread and goes into the water and loves it.

we give him also the lid of a Pyrex bowl with some water in and hell sit his butt in that and splash about. Also he LOVES LOVE LOVES it when i take these white square plates we have, put some water in the middle of it and leave it on the table. he runs across the plate with his bottom part of his beak in the water so the water runs over his tongue. id never seen him have so much fun with water until i did that one day ^^
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

julie wrote:Put fresh water in and then turn a vacuum cleaner on, for some weird reason vacuuming makes them want to bathe.

tried it. no different. He just took a drink and climbed back to his perch. thanks anyways!
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

ryelle wrote:ahahaha Julie is so right!! i re-fill Spits water bowl and then i vacuum and you can rely on him having a bath.

ive taken Spit into the shower with me a few times but he preferred standing on the shower rail repeating "whatcha doin?" instead of actually having a shower. he HATES spray bottles with a passion. to give him a full shower i remove all the toys from his cage and take the top of the cage with Spit in it (leaving the plastic bottom) and i put it in the bath tub. i place the showerhead so the waters only half covering the cage incase he wants to get out of it. at first he wasnt so sure but if u sit next to the bath and talk to him he slides along the bars with his wings spread and goes into the water and loves it.

we give him also the lid of a Pyrex bowl with some water in and hell sit his butt in that and splash about. Also he LOVES LOVE LOVES it when i take these white square plates we have, put some water in the middle of it and leave it on the table. he runs across the plate with his bottom part of his beak in the water so the water runs over his tongue. id never seen him have so much fun with water until i did that one day ^^

The vacuum cleaner thing doesn't work. I'm using a plant pot tray. He just drinks out of it sometimes. I'm starting to wonder if he'll ever really like water.
leo

Post by leo »

try put a cold very wet veggie...with wide leave, like lotuce or cabage
i used cabaged as it is curvy therefor can retain water better
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

leo wrote:try put a cold very wet veggie...with wide leave, like lotuce or cabage
i used cabaged as it is curvy therefor can retain water better

He randomly decided to start bathing on his own 5 minutes after i posted this thread.
Crazyratwoman

Post by Crazyratwoman »

haha isn't that always the way! Petey LOVES to bath but only when the vacuums going, doesn't like the shower and LOATHES the spray bottle!
Petey - IRN

Not enough room for my other fids!!!!
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Crazyratwoman wrote:haha isn't that always the way! Petey LOVES to bath but only when the vacuums going, doesn't like the shower and LOATHES the spray bottle!

At least he likes to splash a little. But whether he likes it or not, he still needs a good drenching bath from time to time. Maybe now that he's discovered the shallow dish I've been using, he'll actually get under the shower water himself and I wont have to sprinkle him anymore. I really want him to like it.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

until we moved into this house about 2 months ago our fid never had a full drenching bath. the most he had was a splash around on a plate or in a bowl. it took him about 3 weeks to get used to the sound of the shower after we moved in and realise it was safe before he used it, and hell only use it if hes inside the cage and the waters coming in the top. i think it makes him feel safe.
could u not try that? also make a game of it. i splash my hands in the water or put toys in and play with them to get spit motivated
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

ryelle wrote:until we moved into this house about 2 months ago our fid never had a full drenching bath. the most he had was a splash around on a plate or in a bowl. it took him about 3 weeks to get used to the sound of the shower after we moved in and realise it was safe before he used it, and hell only use it if hes inside the cage and the waters coming in the top. i think it makes him feel safe.
could u not try that? also make a game of it. i splash my hands in the water or put toys in and play with them to get spit motivated

Sky has started splashing around in the dish I put in his cage, but he still needs a drenching bath. I think I'm gonna go buy a shower perch for him. Maybe now that he splashes on his own, he'll get curious about the shower and actually want to get under the water.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

ive been thinking about one of these two but didnt know if they actually existed. i think Spit would probably have a shower with me if there was some kind of perch. If you find one show me a picture :)
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

ryelle wrote:ive been thinking about one of these two but didnt know if they actually existed. i think Spit would probably have a shower with me if there was some kind of perch. If you find one show me a picture :)

they do exist. They're basically perches with suction cups that you press to the wall of your shower. This link has 3 different perches for ringneck size then grey/amazon size then macaw size. The one that would be good for an IRN shows a cockatiel sitting on it. I think it would work fine. Hope this helps!

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-of-3-Parrot-Bir ... 18Q2el1247