random green feather on blue IRN PICS

Moderator: Mods

SkyBaby

random green feather on blue IRN PICS

Post by SkyBaby »

Skye grew a bright green feather on his/her shoulder and the weird thing is.. This bird is blue! Well.. more of a turquoise blue, but blue. I wonder if s/he will get more green feathers. What do you guys think this means? I'm new to the whole IRN thing.

EDIT:

Picture of the feather.

Sorry that feather is so faint looking here. It's much brighter in real life. I circled it because of that.
Last edited by SkyBaby on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Briony

Post by Briony »

i think (dont quote me and please tell me if im wrong) that green irns are all split for blue...... i may be worng if i am someone please tell me :)
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Briony wrote:i think (dont quote me and please tell me if im wrong) that green irns are all split for blue...... i may be worng if i am someone please tell me :)

That sounds right. Don't the breeders just turn off the green gene somehow? I really don't know how this works. :D I should read about IRN genetics. Thanks for the reply!
Fah

Post by Fah »

Heya, a picture would be great, but we have had turquoise birds not show the greeny colouring through the body for up to 3 months later or more after hatch. If the fella is greenish/turquoise, its not a plain blue.

So yeah if possible a pic would help.
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

Fah wrote:Heya, a picture would be great, but we have had turquoise birds not show the greeny colouring through the body for up to 3 months later or more after hatch. If the fella is greenish/turquoise, its not a plain blue.

So yeah if possible a pic would help.

The green feather is too small to show up in pictures. He wont hold still long enough to let me take a close up of it. The feather is about a quarter inch long. Still growing apparently. There's a pic of him in my sig, though. Those colors are his natural colors. Lighting/flash from my cam didn't change much. I'll post more here if you need.
CalamariBaby

Post by CalamariBaby »

Your baby has a beauty mark.
Allie
SkyBaby

Post by SkyBaby »

CalamariBaby wrote:Your baby has a beauty mark.

Lol! :D I love him just the same. I think it's kinda cool he's got a green feather.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

im sure i read a post on here where someones blue irn moulted in quite a lot of green feathers... i just cant seem to find it again :x
Jim

Post by Jim »

Your bird probably has the turquoise gene. The turquoise gene is a variation of the blue gene that causes a few green feathers to grow. I have a turquoise female that I originally thought was just blue until she grew in a few green feathers. I don't know how common it is for a turquoise bird to initially appear completely blue but I do know that based on my experience, and evidently on Fah and Skybaby's as well, that it does happen.

Just to clarify something from a couple of other posts, not all green birds are split for blue. Any green bird with unknown genetics can possibly be split for blue but the only way to know for sure is to breed them to either a blue bird or a bird known to be split for blue.

Jim
October is National Tagline Awareness Month
Fah

Post by Fah »

It isnt common for turquoise birds to appear completely blue at youth, but I have had one in my time. She didnt show a single green tinge / feather till nearly 4 :O months of age.

I would agree that it most likely has the turquoise gene, and you will get alot more as time goes by.