Luna after 17 monthes

Moderator: Mods

Darlene

Luna after 17 monthes

Post by Darlene »

:) Hi everyone, this update has some possitive news. Here we are 17 monthes after Luna was injured. She has gone from no feeling or movement in her legs and feet to today. We have brought her through healing of the fracture of the pelvic bone and nerve damage. We gave her healing herbal medications, detoxed her from effects of the shock, gave her therapy treatments and good organic healthy food, and all the love, patients and support through cuddle time and play time every day. She has made slow but continueing progress. We just took Luna in to the avian vet for her check up and maintanance. Since he has not seen this type of injury in birds before with nerve damage, he has just had to go on common knowledge of this type of injury. So he has been very interested and even surprised at Luna's progress. Sometimes he doesn't charge me for the visit and thanks me for bringing her in. He said that Luna's spineal cord was not severed, becouse she has movement and feeling in her legs. He said Luna has good retraction of her legs and she was kicking her legs and feet while he was holding her. I showed him how Luna can stand up with just a slight amount of support with my finger for balance. He said she is getting the signal from her brain to open her toes, but needs more practice. At the end of our visit, the doctor said he sees that the only thing standing in the way of Luna walking again is that her little legs needs to get stronger and she needs to keep practiceing spreading her toes. She is slowely getting better at that all the time. The vet said, even if it takes anouther year, that he thinks Luna will walk again. :D And this is differant then when Luna was first injured. He was almost certain she may never walk again at that time. She has taught all of us some things. When Luna was injured, the stress made her feathers turn a gray color. Now this spring she has molted and her new feathers are all comming in bright blue again. This means she is not under stress. So this is good news I wanted to share with you.
Darlene
leo

Post by leo »

wow...happy for you and luna...

hey, can share the pic of luna please...thansk alot
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Just shows what love, positive thinking and a will to live will do.

Well done to both you and Luna for getting this far.

Sounds like Luna is a real trooper! 8)
Ed Loschi

Fantastic good news!

Post by Ed Loschi »

Hey,
Absolutely WONDERFUL news.
Good for you and Luna, keep up the great work ya'all are doing.
I always look forward to your progress reports and updates.
Darlene

A walker for Luna

Post by Darlene »

Hello everyone, I will post a pic of Luna soon. I have never done this before so I hope it works. I have an idea that I think is just what Luna needs right now. She has seen the avian vet and he thinks she just needs to get her muscels stronger to be able to walk again. I need for Luna to push with her legs to excersise her muscels, and I have came up with an idea for a( birdy walker.) It would be just like a walker that human babies use, only IRN size. I am trying to search for a toy maker who may be able to design and make a little walker to put her in. It would have a round frame with a cloth seat attached over the frame. The cloth seat would have three holes for her legs and tail. And it would have four legs with little rollers. I could sit her in it so her feet would just touch the floor and I think she would figure it out in no time. When she gets tired she could just sit down in the seat. I could just see her running around all over behind me like she used to do and I'm sure she would get her legs stronger and have fun doing it. My problem is to find someone who could design and make this piece of equipment. And there are probably other disabled parrots that could use the same thing. Luna stands up with just a little assistance to balance, the next part is to get her to use her muscels. I have tried to put her in her flight suit and hang her up with the little leash, so she can touch the table with her feet. But she can't get around that way and she just chews on the leash. :?: Have I lost my mind? or is this a good idea?
Bella

Post by Bella »

Thats fantastic news what a good girl coming so far and your such an angel helping her like you have. i remember reading about the accident and nearly crying but she is so strong
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

i read this post the other day and today i thought id read the post about the accident, so i could totally understand your happiness. and.. hahaa im crying my eyes out. your fid is very very lucky and even though im crying, im glad that she is coming through this.

i know its not the same animal, but my beloved pet rat had a spinal injury and he had to be put to sleep a month and a half ago. i thought i was over it but obviously not :P i know how emotionally draining it is not knowing whats going to happen. he was sick for about a month and every day i had to hand feed him softened food, give him a bath, and like you, watch him drag himself along the bottom of the cage. it is THE most heartbreaking and emotionally draining thing to have to watch every day and you, your husband and your daughter are so very brave for not giving up hope one bit.

im glad its all working out fine and your fid is recovering amazingly :) wont be long at all until she is running around again on her own
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Darlene you are still my hero.

Love to you and sweet Luna
-Chamon-

Fah

Post by Fah »

Your efforts are nothing short of incredible. It is few and far between when you find someone willing to put that much dedication into their pet.

Congratulations and looking forward to hearing more as times go on.
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

I'm new here and I've just been reading through the different threads I'm sorry you've been through such an ordeal with your baby but I must say what a wonderful parront you are for seeing her through this and helping her get better anyway that you can . I wish there where more people out there like you that have the unconditional love for their pets to see them through no matter what it takes. I'm so glad she has shown that she can and will get better with your love and help I'm sure she will cotinue on her road to being 100 % again good for you and may God bless you for your love and devotion to one of his creatures.
Ed Loschi

Yes you have and yes it is.

Post by Ed Loschi »

Hey,

You asked:
" Have I lost my mind? or is this a good idea?"

Yes you have, and it is and excellant idea.

Keep the good work going and good luck.

Regards, Ed
Darlene

Post by Darlene »

Hi guys, I am 100% sure that Luna is ready for a ( birdie walker ). I have this idea stuck in my head, and I have been on a mission to find someone out there who has the skill and access to the materials to design and build a little scale model birdie walker, like a human babies walker. And I'll bet that there are other parrots with disabilities that could use the same thing. It would give them freedom to move around and be independant. The vet said he believes that Luna has healed and her nerve damage is rejuvinateing. That all she needs is to make her little muscels stronger. I have given her therapy to keep her joints from getting stiff and causeing deformities. And she has all her parts, feeling and movement. Now I have done all I can do. From here on, Luna will have to practice standing and she is smart. She would have a walker figured out in no time. The little rollers would have to be the kind that turns or swivels, so she can buzz around corners and run from me again like she used to. LOL! :lol: