Help please!!!

Moderator: Mods

harold_roddick

Help please!!!

Post by harold_roddick »

Hey guys...

I've had Ava and Smith for about 3 years now, and I have noticed that they go through a molting phase every year (in the summer), but eventually after a few weeks, their feathers grow back and would look as beautiful as before. This year is different though. Ava's feathers seem ok. Her feathers had grown back. But it's different for Smith. He's still a little "bald" in the neck and chest area, and also under his wings. I thought that Ava was plucking his feathers, so I isolated him for a short while. But no changes. I tried observing them closely but I do not think the problem has to do anything with plucking the feathers. I never saw Ava or Smith himself plucking the feathers. What could be the problem here. It's already been like 3 months. Is he sick? Ava and Smith eat the same food though. I don't know what's wrong with him. Could you please help me with this.

Please click on the link below to view before and after pics of Ava and Smith:

http://www.picturetrail.com/ava_smith

Thank you very much.
Bella

Post by Bella »

I may be wrong but in my opinion it looks like he has been plucked he could do it when you arent there but maybe a trip to the vet would be a good idea to rule out anything else.
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

he looks ok to me the feathers in the bald area look very downy maybe they are just taking longer to grow back
he doesnt look sick his feathers are very vibrant and he looks active
maybe just take him in for a check up
Ed Loschi

molting/plucking

Post by Ed Loschi »

Hey Harold,
I posted this answer to your question in the Photo section also:

Hey,
Your male is plucking his chest/breast feathers but just sniping off the colored bit of the feather leaving the downy alone. Watch him carefully and you'll catch him.

One thing that could be happening too is that the female might be allopreening him and doing the plucking.

His feathering will come back in the next molt.

My fid has been doing this to himself, he is molting now and the pin feathers are evident and hopefully he'll leave them alone this year.

Good luck.

PS My fid is letting his feathers alone thus far in this molt and fingers are crossed he leaves those new feathers intact. His back feathers have come in nicely; he's got alot of pin feathers ready to pop all along his breast.

One thing I did differently during this molt is to keep a keen eye on him and when he begins to preen the new feathers too intently I get him into a shower, and give him a good soaking.

My sense is that his molt is sensitive to him. The shower seems to calm him and is perhaps soothes the feather growth areas.
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

I agree I have had a few birds that chew their feather during the molting season espceily if its a heavy molt its very irratating Lots of baths every day help to soften the pins so they break open faster try this and he will probubly get through this molt without to much more barbering of his feathers.If you use a spray bottle put a little pure aloevera gell into the water and spray him with it. It will help to stop the itch and irritation.