Tipping the Water?

Moderator: Mods

azringneckfound

Tipping the Water?

Post by azringneckfound »

Had a few new mommy questions. Maybe some don't have answers.

Why does Buddy love to tip his water dish. We keep it out with him during the day...Its definitely not from him wanting to bathe. He doesn't play in it.

He gives off little gentle squeaks throughout the day. Is there any meaning behind it.

He likes to squawk repetitively when you put him in his cage. I am assuming even though he wants to go he is not happy? Sometimes he just squawks like he is telling us something. Maybe its not always a negative.

One more thing. He used to follow us everywhere the first week. Now he is less playful with his toys. Is that just adjusting? People say how they are different everyday like we are. So I might just be silly for worrying too much. What are we suppose to expect having birds and domesticating them from the wild. heehee What are we to expect..lolol Anyway any input or your own experiences with your birds would be greatly appreciated. I wouldn't be like this but it is my first bird and it was a stray and i have no clue..lolol I have been searching this forum a lot and these were the concerns I still had...
:? :)
BigChicken

Post by BigChicken »

One of our birds loves to dump his food dish. He works at it for hours until he succeeds. It becomes a game for them sometimes. Try a bigger and heavier bowl, he’ll try for a while, then give up when it’s not fun, just exhausting. In the meanwhile he’ll get some exorcize!
Dan
Fah

Post by Fah »

The water dish is a common one. The only thing you can do is use a fixed bowl (to the side of the aviary or cage) or heavy ceramic / stoneware shallow bowls).

The chirpy noises my pet ringneck does in his sleep even... sometimes he scares himself and wakes up... several times he has scared himself in his sleep he has fallen from the perch. (funny as hell... in a "omg are you ok" sorta way :P) Birds love noise, whether they do it.. or someone does it around them. Ringnecks are not birds of silence.

Some days I cant keep my boy away from me, and others all he wants to do is be alone and pretend he is some rogue wild bird... free from human (other birds even) interaction. They have their quirks.. just as many as us humans do. And they deffinately have moods. You will find new homes = familiar people needed, or new homes = need to be near the flock (ie... you) for comfort. Once they realise they are safe and happy they start exploring.. and the "flock" isnt as desperately needed.

Key to bird enjoyment. Time... + food... + making the little guys think... + time... + cuddles... + making them think a bit more. Oh.. did I say food? :P
azringneckfound

Post by azringneckfound »

Thank you, that is the best explanation I could ever get. It totally puts my mind at ease and makes sense. I definately don't expect perfection or it to be easy. Even with the challenges I find he is perfect to us. It is a bit harder when you don't understand them. I totally am now. I know all animals may have their moods but birds are quite unique in that catagory. I think as people we are so empathetic in taking care of a pet you feel a great responsibility to provide the best environment and want to understand them to keep them content. Thanks again for the responses. I am learning so much and the more I know the happier the birdy will be.. :D