Beak Trimming

Moderator: Mods

ryelle

Beak Trimming

Post by ryelle »

I did do a search to see if this has been brought up before but the trawl through posts was a bit time consuming because a lot mention beaks lol.

Just a question though: Does anyone trim or has anyone had their birds beaks trimmed before either by themselves or by an avian vet?

If so, what would the reasons be for trimming them? and do IRN's need this doing occasionally like they can sometimes need their toe nails clipped?

I'm only asking because i was just watching a programme on T.V with a Kestral (i know they are different kinds of birds), and they trimmed the tips of the toe nails and then trimmed and filed the tip of the beak. This is more curiosity than actually thinking about getting it done to my fid :)
Bella

Post by Bella »

Beaks are abit like our nails they always grow most birds keep theirs trim by chewing stuff but if they didnt i suppose that would create a need for a beak trim i guess :? i may be wrong tho so dont hold me to it :lol:
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
azringneckfound

Post by azringneckfound »

I had no idea. We are new parents. We took our little guy into a tropical bird store for grooming. They did much better than the vet and spent a lot of time and had a lot of info for us. We sat for about an hours and watched them groom wings, beaks and nails. Ours was a stray so it needed it. Maybe when you take it in for a wing trim you can have them check to see if they feel it needs the nails and beak as well. The vet wings were 25.00 and they didn't do a complete job. The Tropical bird store did the beak, nails and topped off the wings for 12.50. After words he got a treat and they spend time talking with him and helping us figure out the age.