Birds and the heat

Moderator: Mods

Aces Wild

Birds and the heat

Post by Aces Wild »

Well, I discovered last night, as I went to our new apartment to set up Jasper's cage, that our wonderfully newly renovated, AFFORDABLE place has NO AIR CONDITIONING! We never even thought to look because most apartments have AC, we didn't see any window units so assumed it was central air. WRONG!

Now I am worried about Jasper! It is normally in the 80's here during the summer, is that too hot for him?? If I keep a fan on him, will he be okay?? What about the days it gets to 100 (we had a bad heat wave just a few days ago). What would I do then??

I am already trying to figure out what I am going to do for my poor dog! Although I think plenty of water should be okay and all the windows being open, not to mention lots of fans!

I just need to figure out what to do while we save up to afford some AC units.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Dealing with heat is important because a parrot can quickly overheat if the proper requirements are not met. On that same note however, you have to keep in mind these parrots are native to South-East Asia and it’s quite hot there—they are designed to deal with warmer climates. Here are a few tips to keep your parrot cool.
- Make sure all windows are opened during hot days to allow a fresh breeze to flow through the house.
- Never place the cage in direct sun light.
- Keep the water dishes filled.
- A quick mist from a spray bottle will cool off the bird.
- Don’t overwork the bird during warmer days.
- Fresh cold fruit is a wonderful treat that will cool the parrot down.
A quick note for you. If the wings are slightly open and your parrot is panting—it’s too hot. When a parrot gets to this stage I recommend cooling the parrot off by spraying it with lukewarm water with a soft spray (spray bottle).
Don’t ever overstress the parrot in this condition as it can easily lead to a heat stroke. If you feel your parrot is going to start jumping around the cage—let it be and make modifications around the room to cool the parrot. Stress + heat = serious problems.
For a cool little tip. When it gets really hot in my aviaries I take bottled waters that I store in my fridge and fill the water dishes. Have those ready in case it gets hot—works wonders!
Hope this helps and I would not worry to much! Just be ready for very hot days and look at the weather! :wink:

Take care,

Imran
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Exactly what Imran said, hes so good at explaining things. :wink:
Here in Aus, its can get over 40 degrees (celcius) here, not sure what that is over there, lets just say its 'stinkin'!. We dont have air con either, just fans. I try cooling them down ever hour or so with a misting and put a fan on them. Also try putting Jasper in the coolest room of the house. For us, the bathroom is best. Dont make Jasper fly, this makes them pant like crazy. People try giving ice blocks or frozen fruit 'pops' (as you might call them), for them to lick, but my 2 wont touch ice, so I give watery cold fruits. Also my 2 are not active at all most days through summer, to concerve energy. I just let them be and try my best to cool them down with a mister. Which they hate but its better than a panting overheated bird. :(
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

LoL! Lauren you are the best 8)

your buddy,

imran
MrsVanPelt

Post by MrsVanPelt »

Honestly, central AC isn't that good for a bird in my experience. It's hard to regulate it so it doesn't blow near the bird. On thing you can do is get a cheap window unit (I got the one in my room for $80). You can control where those blow a little better.

I used to live in NY and I don't think I would've been able to survive the summer! Not really because of the heat but because of the humidity.
Proud wife of Rocky, Mother toMarley (IRN), JayBird and Cally (Rats), Jebadiah (Mouse), Rasta and Reggae (Bearded Dragons). Auntie to Princess (Poodle)
Fah

Post by Fah »

Before moving into my new home I would just throw a block of ice into the water container. I would break it up a bit first if they got freaked out about it but more often than not you will find their curiosity will fade to realising this funny block = cool water.

Plenty of bathing water and shade is all you seriously need on a simple factor with a few squirts from a water bottle (if its indoors) for fun now and then... just make sure the water doesnt dry up.