Are gas ovens poisonous for birds?

Moderator: Mods

alana8819

Are gas ovens poisonous for birds?

Post by alana8819 »

like the heading says are gas oven poisonous for birds? we have just moved to a house with a gas oven and hotplates we have been here since friday have been using the oven our love bird we rescued has died tonight he still hadnt put on weight despite all our efforts so am wondering if it was a sickness that just got hold of him or if it was the gas oven he has been fine no breathing problems eating chirping fine went to get him out for a snuggle and he was curled under his hand towel dead.
if there is a chance it could be the gas i need to know so i can tell my dad not to bring over the breeding pair that i am meant to look after i dont want anymore birds to die.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Oh no that is so sad :(

Sorry to read that.

I have no idea if gas ovens are dangerous :?
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

thanks pinkdevil yeah is sad poor little guy i was hoping he would get better with time my partner was very attached to him just cant believe he was fine this morning and then dead tonight.
we also didnt know how old he was or if he was a he or a she how do you tell if a love bird is old?
eta age thing
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

ive got gas hobs (hotplates as you call them lol) in my house, and we had a gas oven and hob in the old house. We have Spit in an opposite room and close the doors between the rooms when we cook. We also have a carbon monoxide detector because theres a gas boiler in the kitchen too, i know faulty gas appliances can leak it sometimes (insanely deadly to birds i believe). maybe you should get a detector and keep your birds in a different room? my boyfriend is real strict about Spit and the kitchen, mostly with the gas and other fumes
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

will have to get a detector he was in another room but i think in the future i will put them outside when i cook, we think he may have been old the person we rescued him from had him for a number of years and didnt get him as a baby and we were in the same room when cooking and from what i could find it is a painful way to go they make noise and gasping and he was just snuggled up and what i thought was asleep. i wont be taking any chances though.