urgent beak problem please read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator: Mods

chobah

urgent beak problem please read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by chobah »

we had a little accident today and I need help fast. My baby ringneck toki got out of my grip and landed on another of my birds cages. this bird is very aggressive, and imediatly started attacking him through the bars. Toki was bitten on the beak, on the top part near the cere, a hole punched right through. the vets are closed today, it's a holiday so i am stuck until at least tomorrow. it is not bleeding, he doesn't even really seem that distressed about it, but i am at a near panic. please any advise? you can see straight through to the inside of his mouth. I have been feeding him some mooshed fruit, and baby food courtesy of my son, is that ok for him to eat?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:( Oh no! I have read that if its not bleeding and not bothering the bird, leave it and it will grow out.. like our fingernails grow out.. but Id still visit a vet asap for a check up. Blood would not be a good sign and this would probably require emergency care. Poor lil Toki! Can he eat? Or is food falling out? I hope Toki is ok.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

oh hope toki is ok let us know what happens at the vet
chobah

Post by chobah »

we are going early in the afternoon. feels like an eternity from now. there is no bleeding, and he has been eating mushy stuff, he seems to dig my sons organic babyfood, I am sure he isnt getting enough, but at least something is going down. watching him drink makes me sad too. the water kinda bubbles out the hole and dribbles down his face. I am so freaked out.
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

I' so sorry to hear about your bird I had a simalar accident last December just a couple months after I got my African grey she bit the top mandable off my Green cheeked conure I was in a horrible state I rushed him to the vet and thank goodness there was no internal damage but he bit it off right at the cere just below the nostrals I hand fed him for 7 months and finally it has grown out enough that he can eat on his own It still has a very long way to go and it may nevr get its full growth back because yours is a hole he might be okay but you should see what the vet says He will probubly have baytril for 10 days to stop any potential infection and a pain killer. you may have to get some hand feeding formula and a shringe to feed him with good luck I had to feed Sprout 4 times a day at first it was right at Christmas time what a nightmare trying to get everything done and be there every 4to 5 hours to feed my bird. but he made it and I love him to peices during that time me and him bonded in a very big way.This was Sprout before the accident
Image and this is Sprout now
chobah

Post by chobah »

oh that poor little baby. I can feel his pain. My guy has progressed well enough that i don't have to hand feed anymore. this happened a little while back. I did have to get him on an antibiotic, and some birdy pain meds. He is doing a lot better now, and his beak hole is looking a lot better as well. it's still there, but it has moved down a bit from new growth. the vet said it will grow out completly in time, and to be patient. I was just horrified that our new baby bird had such a bad first month. he's back to his rascally self now at least.
Raja's_mom

Post by Raja's_mom »

Oh I guess I should of looked at the date of the post :oops: My bird is back to being a total little brat like nothing ever happened I don't know if he'll ever get full growth back but at least he can eat everything again and it doesn't seem to bother him in the slightest. I must say though because of the way he is he gets more attention then any of my other birds My 2 daughters just adore him and play with him constantly. My youngest is afraid of the bigger birds but She loves Sprout and he love's her He's always flying over to play with her he doesn't usually give you any warning then all of a sudden you hear the sound of flapping wings it always scares my daughter to death until she realizes its only Sprout and not my African Grey Congo or my Yellow Crowned Amazon Hybrid its very funny and Sprout thinks so to he laughs every time he does it What a little brat eh.