Dry Feet?

Moderator: Mods

ryelle

Dry Feet?

Post by ryelle »

O.k, this may sounds like a stupid question, ive never owned a bird before, so i dont know what their feet are meant to look like. I've got a photo of Spits feet because i dont know if the skin is too dry of if they are meant to look like that. When we first got him it looked like he had dandruff on his feathers but this has stopped now.

the picture: (you will have to excuse the quality: he decided to get camera shy today... when yesterday he was lappin up the attention. typical :P )

If he has got dry feet, i read that vitamin A is good for dry skin, is there anything else i can use or is there any veggies rich in it? ive got some small animal cream that i use on my rats dry feet and it says its safe for birds but that means id have to towel him and id rather avoid it if i can.

[edit] p.s.. ignore the mess of his perch lol. we need to buy another one but he absolutely loves destroying the messy one
Donna

Post by Donna »

His feet look normal :D

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

yay! thank you :D i always worry about nothing ^^
Bella

Post by Bella »

Im glad you started this as ive noticed billys feet are the same but is it normal for the skin to be flaking off?
Mum to Harvey(little boy) Satan RIP, Missy moos(Staffy bull) Billy(green irn) Sir didymus(grey irn) and Isis(cockatiel), Lucy (caique)
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

Your babys feet look normal to me, they sometimes flake when they are moulting i notice that with Ami sometimes.

Your aloud to be concerned about anything its better to ask than be sorry if something was wrong.
Sharlene and Amazon
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Yep they look normal. I find their feet look very dinosaur like. :lol:
Just like we shed skin, sometimes they can look a bit flakey, soft perches help too. Aloe vera oil might help too? I havnt tried it but the oil is safe to use on birds. Also the 'dandruff' you might see, can be the coating of new feather shafts, usually when moulting.. or very fine birdy dust which is their natural feather 'conditioner' and maybe a waterproof coating. You might see a cloud of this when they do that quick lil flutter after a preen. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

hehe, my dad came over one time and we rarely see him so Spit absolutely freaked out (he doesnt like strangers at all) and my dad got a face full of that dust stuff. i laughed lots :D

He is in the middle of a moult atm (lost two tail feathers yesterday and another wing feather) and he lost tonnes of down feathers last week and i noticed flakes on his back today so it must be to do with his new feathers.

Thanks for replying to this, i thought it would put mine and newer bird owners without much experience minds at rest a bit ^^
laine

Post by laine »

glad you asked cos Smokey has the same thing. Glad its normal.