Is there something wrong with him? Please help

Moderator: Mods

laine

Is there something wrong with him? Please help

Post by laine »

I may be worrying needlessly but is there something wrong with Smokey? I have attached a movie because he won't stay still long enough for a photo and they come out blurry LOL. I am concerned because his beak seems to be losing color. Look at the front section toward the end (point). It has a white streak. Is he deficient in something? I haven't changed his diet at all. He is a good eater and loves his veg & fruit. It's not scratches cos I checked that already. He isn't sick, at least he doesn't show any signs. Very playfull, eats lots, chats etc. Does this happen to birds? Please, tell me if I need to do anything for him. Thanks.

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/el ... V00556.flv
catschair2

Post by catschair2 »

I don't know, but he seems happy & healthy! The only completely random fact I can throw into the mix is that some hens lose their beak pigment as they lay eggs, which will come back when they stop (which has nothing to do with a male ringie, I think). Hopefully someone will come along with some relevant information!
MCS
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Hey Elaine, WOW Smokey is quite the looker, all growed up too!!

Dats had a similar discolouration at around 2-2.5 years old, went away on its own but I was worried sick, I think Smokey is about the same age now?

It could be to do with the change of season, different light intensity (heading into winter) or a diet thing but if you have not changed his diet (nor had I with D) and he is acting normal I wouldn't worry.. I'll dig out a pic of Dats when his beak was like that, hope I am making you feel less freaked.. :D

Here he is at bout 2 years:
2.5 years:
And 3 years, all better:
-Chamon-

laine

Post by laine »

Thank you so much. Yeah, I think he's quite a handsome boy too, but then he is my baby :lol: :lol: :lol: . He is about 2 1/2 now, you are right.
I just went to our local store and was told it could be a vitamin deficiency due to winter - lack of sunlight. I bought vitamin supplement for him anyway. I also noticed his little feet are a bit dry so that also got me a bit worried.
julie

Post by julie »

It looks like it has been rubbed, does he do the beak rubbing thing after he has eaten??
laine

Post by laine »

Yes Julie, he does. The color in his beak does look like it has been polished out as the beak is very smooth without any scratches. I looked for scratch/rub marks first and there are none.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

i think Spit has the same type of spot on his beak, not as obvious as Smokeys though. its just right where the black blends into the red on the tip of his beak. and i dont think it is a lack of sunlight because we are just coming into Summer over here and Spits getting plenty of it