bleeding flight feather

Moderator: Mods

sunflower

bleeding flight feather

Post by sunflower »

my irn has had her wings cliped and they are taking a while for them to grow back but the the feather on the extreme adge of each wing seems to grow super fast and she always gets it caught on the bars of her cage when she is climbing around or when handled.

is there anything i can do to stop these two feathers from bleeding or is this normal with birds ?

she looks like she is in alot of pain and i cant spread her wings because the feather hurts her so much.

any help please.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I would get her to a vet as soon as you can to fix the problem. Otherwise infection could set in. :( You don't want to see her suffer any longer than she needs to :)

:)
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

i second with pink on that one a vet is your best option
Sharlene and Amazon
sunflower

Post by sunflower »

i decided to let her(she's a girl for now) grow her flight feathersfully before i decide whether or not to trim them again.

when she had the problem they were still growing back and were very weak, she has not had this problem for some time now.

very happy.
Donna

Post by Donna »

It is not good for the bird to leave broken blood feathers in, these feathers have to be pulled out and your vet will know how to do this.
If she keeps brakeing them it sounds like she is in to small of cage.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both