never quiet

Moderator: Mods

Oliver and Justin

never quiet

Post by Oliver and Justin »

oli never seems to have a quiet time

awalys screaming or squaking all the time

my family is haveing trouble and its very stressful

is there a way i can teach him know when its not a good time to squak?

thanks
-Justin
Oliver and Justin

mistake

**her*** i keep saying he
:oops:

:lol:
-Justin
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Hi Justin,

I wish there was an easy quick fix but thats just birds, the best way to discourage excessive screaming is to completely ignore it. Or if that fails I have an outdoor cage/aviary that my Datsun has as a day cage and he can do all the screaming he likes out there, if that is an option for you??

good luck with that, it can be very difficult but my lot now know to get my attention they need to whistle or speak and not scream.
-Chamon-

Oliver and Justin

ok ill just try and ignore it

and then we will see how that works

thanks datsun :D
-Justin
Miss_kaos

Post by Miss_kaos »

:lol: haha oh good question justin... damn i wish i knew too! sometimes my bird's screeching drives me nuts especially when i get up in the morn nd he see's me... aww i am not a morning person haha lol oh well ya gotta luv em for it :roll:
oh nd i can definatly say birdbird is a boy now... i can see little red tipped feathers coming through WHooo! it didnt really bother me if he was a girl or boy but i'd always call him a boy iunno why.
Reearn nd Birdbird
bec

Post by bec »

ive been "fairly" sucessful with getting riku & kieron to quiet down a bit when they start squawking for no other reason than to hear the sound of their own voices(normally when i sit down to watch telly or im on the phone) i look at them & say" oh what now?" in a bored voice then make sure they see me turn my back to them when they are quiet i pay attention to them & give them a treat, how ever i did state fairly sucessful it doesnt work for the we want out of the cage yell or when riku is dive bombing as she flys over my head loww enough for her wings to touch my hair she screams once nor does it work when "judge judy starts i dont know why but kieron goes nuts when it starts dancing round & telling everyone its on. Oh no!!!does this mean my fids addicted to reality shows?
Miss_kaos

Post by Miss_kaos »

lol i love the way u have used the word 'fairly' :lol: yes well i definately know the "i want out of the cage" screech haha mine has issues with the word bedtime to haha :lol: i think i better call a family meeting :lol: mine has picked up the lorikeet screeches as well so thats fun to listen to at 5am haha :roll: :lol: sometimes i think i own an aviary of all diff types of birds ranging from lorikeets to magpies,storm birds to the sound of pigeons when they fly off that weird noise they make lol. yep birdbird has picked all that up :P
haha judge judy oh no you've got a little soapy on ya hands... better hide the remote :wink: i gotta hide mine so i have buttons left :roll:
Reearn nd Birdbird
Oliver and Justin

aw man i am jelous of you Miss_kaos

post some pics

oli seems to "male dance" to her bowl and tilt and cluck

she can see herself in the bowl

could this be a problem?

cause i tried puting a bowl she couldnt see her self in but she like flipped out and started yelling with that deep throat yell :?
-Justin
Miss_kaos

Post by Miss_kaos »

lol :D dw we can still pretend oli is a boy :wink:
u cant really see the red yet in photos but i will definatly post some when they come through some more...

i'm pretty sure when they tilt nd cluck its wat the females do (i know oli's a girl lol) because birdbird won tilt nd cluck, he'll spread his wings nd get all cocky nd tlk heaps, he mainly does it to his bell haha :lol: nd he never used to be interested in the mirror but ever since his molt he'll dance in front of it :roll: :lol:
theres some videos on this site of a male dance nd a female.. i'd tell u if i could remember :roll:
i dont think seeing her self would be a problem, i'm not sure though. i could be wrong. oh yeh that deep throat yell :shock: drives me nuts lol :lol:
Reearn nd Birdbird
Aves

Post by Aves »

Levi has her days when she seems to just want to SCREAM her head off all day. The trick I found is to say "wanna go to bed?" put her in the cage, cover her up and shut off the lights. Kind of like a birdie "time out". Then when she quiets down I'll let her back out again. Birds are clever because when she starts screaming now and I say "wanna go to bed?" she'll calm down a little bit and quiet down (although some days she protests anyways and just wants to misbehave, like "I dare you to put me away" cause she's a spoiled princess like that).

But its funny too cause she has picked up on the fact that we like it better when she talks than squawks so when she gets put on "time out" she starts talking in her cage right away "oh he-lllo, whatya doin?". heheh... she cracks me up the clever devil. But anyways, DARK is usually the trick with her to get her to quiet down. Hope it's somewhat helpful if you are still looking for tips... :)
"You remain responsible, forever for what you have tamed"
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Yeah screaming is part of owning a parrot. Most people have the notion that parrots are quiet—especially because it is so misleading when they are babies. I will honestly say that there are times I wish Archimedes would stay quiet—especially when he hears my outside ringnecks—he goes crazy. It’s a never ending battle, yet I have to just ignore it. There are times when he just looks me in the face and starts screaming—I swear he does it on purpose! LoL!!! :twisted: To make matters worse, I keep him in my room and there is nothing more enjoyable then your little buddy screaming and announcing the morning—two alarm clocks—boy what a treat!

What that being said, it comes with the territory of owning a bird. I have several parrots and I swear the neighbors want to murder me—especially when my aviary of ringnecks sound their “good morning” calls. When Archimedes is really screaming I’ll give him something to keep him busy.

I place him in the bathroom in front of a mirror so he can admire himself or place him on his play stand with some new object for him to explore. They key is to ignore it all together and never make eye contact with a screaming parrot. Simpley go about your business. Only when the parrot has been able to be quiet for a few minutes go to him and reward him. I would much rather have Archimedes talk—so when he talks I go to the cage and give him a quick praise. This has helped a great deal in changing his screaming to talking.

Hope this helps and if anyone has any ideas—please post!

Good post, :wink:

Imran
Oliver and Justin

thanks Imran

What im doing now, is when I really cant handle the screaming, i just put oli in the bathroom and she can explore.

She has tore some dry wall out :shock:

So i really dont want her in there anymore :lol:

So but its getting better i think. He loves peanuts so when he is quiet i give him peanuts.

Thanks for all your replys
-Justin
-Justin
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

When Oli screams and you put her in the bathroom, to stop her from causing destruction, you could try putting her in the confines of her cage. That way she can't do damage to the bathroom or herself. Just a sugestion :)

:)
alana8819

Post by alana8819 »

hey cookie rarely screamed cause i just ignored it and it worked a treat, if he was being too loud when i wanted quiet time and he was out of his cage instead of putting him in his cage i would put him on the floor with toys and he would play and be quiet, if it was too much i would just put him in the cage outside. ignoring it definitely works though goodluck
Melika

Post by Melika »

I read this topic a while ago, and I've been thinking on it, lol.

Hane is a rather quiet bird- when he was growing up I would leave the room when he got too loud.

So I began thinking about what keeps my sister's bird quiet...

Tsume goes nuts sometimes, and a high pitch too. But he never yells when he's detroying something. We take bamboo tops, when we trim ours, and put them in their cages. If you want it to last a day, put something destructable in at night, while he's sleeping and he'll begin attacking it in the morning.

There are shreddable strips you can buy, cut small lengths and tie on a bunch of his hanging toys. That takes a while for them to find them all and destroy them. And they're fairly cheap. :)

Foraging toys are awesome too. IRNs are pigs and will spend hours getting the food out. I have a Mazey Munch for Hane, and he'll stay at that until he gets every last little bit from a Nutriberry out.

Fruit on a kabob in the cage helps too. Especially if it's hanging so they have to hang and climb to get to the fruit. We only put fruit on the kabob- they won't work as hard for the veggies. xD

Any kind of shreddable toy, or destructable will help keep him busy.

Here are some links to toys I have, have had, and like to use:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=14412
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=8415
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=17960
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=8400
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=16231
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=18063
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=17943

You can get toys that have cavities you can hide nuts in. Which makes for great foraging. Anything that takes them time and effort to do.

For easy to shred things, I'll buy from that company since you get a bit of a discount with six or more, lol.

I try to get toys that aren't hard, don't have round beads, etc. Birds like to destroy, hard toys defeat the purpose of the toy. Round edges are harder for a beak to get to chewing, square edges are easy. I have a variety of think woods and thick woods in the different toys. Always have ones with thinner wood pieces in the cage, when they just want a quick chew. Also toys with interesting textures. Hane has a preference for rope (cotton and sisal) and leather. So I try to include such toys- such as this one:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=18066

But Tsume prefers more wooden and shreddable toys, as he is all about destruction. :twisted:

If there are safe plants you can give to him to destroy, let him at it. We do it, because it's cheaper. When they finish stripping the bamboo we give them of the leaves and stems, they begin on the stalk itself, shredding it. O_O

And just for fun, this was Hane's favourite toy, lol. Don't know why, it just was. xD
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=13269

I suppose my thought is somewhere along the lines of preventing him from screaming in the first place. And if his beak is busy he might keep quiet. If he gets out of the habit of screaming, then perhaps he just won't do it anymore. At least I hope so. ^_~
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

Gigi bird tends to be a screamer and can scream for hours on end, so I understand your frustration. I usually try to give him his bell so he'll ring it instead of screaming. If that doesn't work, I cover him. Once covered I can hear him beak grinding, cooing and chittering away. :D With Gigi bird I think sometimes he just needs a break from the hustle and bustle of the house. Once he settles down,I uncover him. Since I started doing this, he doesn't scream as much. I tried ignoring him, but that just didn't work. If he lets out the odd screech, I answer him back to let him know his "flock" is still here. It's only when he does the constant, non stop, make my ears bleed screeching that I cover him. At first it was a daily thing. Now, three weeks later, it's maybe a couple of times a week.