Taking Cookie to the Vet

Moderator: Mods

lovemybirds

Taking Cookie to the Vet

Post by lovemybirds »

Today I am taking Cookie to the Vet to have his claws clipped. I noticed that one of his claws is sooooo long that its making his foot sit a bit funny. :(

Wish us luck with our first Vet visit! :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

GOOD LUCK!
I am sure Cookie will be the perfect little birdie

:)
lovemybirds

Post by lovemybirds »

Well, all went great at the vet. She actually said the nails weren't that bad. :D So, Cookie is all clipped & passed the first vet visit with flying colours!
Lene

Post by Lene »

Did you go to an avian vet? I find they're all so far away...

Who did you see?
Cheers

Lene
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Yay Cookie!!

:)
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

i have a question, and its related to this, so i hope you dont mind.

how long should the nails be normally and when do you know they are too long?
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Goodluck Cookie!! It will be all over soon. hehe.

When your bird is getting stuck to things and is walking funny they are probably too long. When clipping, just do not cut the blood supply vein in the nail.
I asked my vet and he said, a variety of mineral/calcium perches should help with the nails and he didnt think Jibby needed a trim. :? But then, I think he does.
I find Jibby gets stuck to alot of things. I bought him more perches for keeping nails trim. It seems to be working, slowly though. I bought mineral cholla cactus perches because they arent coloured and Jibby has a phobia of coloured perches for some reason. Jibby now just waits for me to pick him free, he just sits there patiently lol, he also picks his nails alot while preening. :shock: So I'm going to see if another vet will trim them for me. I think the perches work, but not as well as a proper clip.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

i dont know if spit gets stuck to things because he only plays on his table stand when hes outside, unless he flies and lands on the back of the sofa. he doesnt like cuddles or climbing on us so he doesnt get stuck to clothing. he chews on the end of them when hes pruning aswell. ill try get some new perches that should help.

im used to cutting tiny rats nails, and they have a vein in them aswell. they are easy to tell though when they need cutting cus they walk on the floor with flat feet, which our bird doesnt do often.
ill see if new perches do anything and if not ill ask a vet if they need trimming, or just trim the tips off.

now that i think about it, he was strutting around on the table the other day and his feet were pointing more inwards than normal and he was almost tripping over them...
lovemybirds

Post by lovemybirds »

I took Cookie to the local Vetinary Hospital, as they do birds. Luckily for me, it is only 2 minutes up the road. They did a great job with Cookie.

I found that Cookie was getting stuck to the lounge and the toe that had the really long nail on it, was curling sideways. That's the only reason why I thought the nails needed clipping.

The Vet asked about perches in the cage. I have 2 branches and a normal round perch, that I put sandpaper on to help with the nail thing. I was told to take the sandpaper off the perch, as it can wear away the pads on their feet, and won't really help with the nails anyway. I was also told to just use branches, as in the wild that is all the birds have to use.